New to Concealed carry - best holsters?

Iron Deacon

Inactive
There's a bewildering number of them out there. When I took the course, some people were talking about Galco's, some Uncle Mikes, some C.T.A.C.

Which ones rate the best, and why, IYHO?

Thanks!

Best, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. It also depends on your method of carry, IWB or OWB, being the most prevelant. What is your normal clothing wear?

I have an MTAC for IWB for my G19 and M&P's. Raven Technologies for OWB or a fanny pak for riding the motorcycle. You will probably not find just ONE holster that is "perfect", which is why most of us have a holster box. ;)

BTW, I and many feel the belt is the most important part of carrying.

Different people like different things, and there are probably as many different "best" holsters as there are "best" choices for a CCW.

Depending on what weapon you have chosen, there will only be so many choices for holsters.
Every individual has his/her opinion. It's not so much as what is "best" as it is what is "best for you".
Your body shape/size will likely dictate, or at least influence, what you find comfortable and concealable.

Many of us have bought, tried and sold a number of holsters. Some of have something we like very well, but still have another on order (or are at least eyeballing another one) :).

You will have to figure out what works for you, and it may take some doing.

If you are asking my opinion, I like the Milt Sparks Watch Six and Versa Max II (both IWB) for my 1911. I like my UBG Striker (IWB) for my Kahr P45. I like my Hoffner's Muirage (IWB) for my 4" K-frame, and my Galco (OWB) for my 4" N-frame.

I am eyeballing a Crossbreed Supertuck, and may give that a try.

it depends on the gun a lot. My S&W 640 rides all the time in my pocket. Any thing larger rides in a IWB holster.

I am considering getting my first shoulder holster Just cause its different.

Try several different set ups that are comfortable, conceal well & are easily accessible. Be prepared to spend several hundred dollars for a good quality holster & belt, your life may depend on it.

$60 for Crossbreed's belt, or any other double thickness gun belt will make a lot of difference.

While I don't personally own one, tons of people swear by the Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB.

Personally, for me, in the less than $80 price range, I'd go with the Supertuck, or DM Bullard's Dual Carry. I personally own the Dual Carry because I wanted an all leather. However, I think that there is a lot to be said for the kydex/leather hybrids.

ID, 1/27/11

As others have pointed out there is no one "best" holster for everyone.

First, order a good belt. I get mine from www.gunnersalley.com and they last years. Don't forget to order it about 2-3 inches too long if you are going to get an IWB (inside the waist band) holster.

Once you order your belt you have to decide what type of holster you are going to use. Most times it will be a choice between the IWB or OWB (outside the waist band) holster. There are a bunch of other choices for specialized situations (like shoulder holsters, fanny/waist packs, belly bands, ankle holsters, etc.) which probably don't apply to your first holster.

IWB conceals best for many people and doesn't show as easily when you are bending over or reaching up for something with your gun hand. The down side is that it may not be quite as comfortable as an OWB holster.

OWB rides outside the waist of your pants but still attached to the belt. Many people like OWB's when they have heavier clothing to help hide the pistol.

Next start looking at internet sites for holster makers. Many of the internet forums have a list of holster makers "sticky'd" to their sites. There are a number of good ones in the mid to high price ranges. The most important thing to check is what their wait-time is until you get your holster. At some of the smaller, highest quality makers it can be 6 months to 2 years. Plan on spending about $60-100 for a medium quality, durable holster.

I have holsters from Galco, Highnoon, Don Hume, Fist, and a Milt Sparks Versa Max type holster. All make reasonable quality holsters as do a number of other manufacturers. I like IWB holsters in black, made from leather (as opposed to plastic, Kydex),usually worn with a spare single mag pouch on the opposite side.

Good luck in your quest. You will probably end up with the proverbial "box of holsters" that many of us have as we continually try to upgrade our choices.

best wishes- oldandslow

I tried a lot of holsters, and the Milt Sparks VM2HS is what worked best for me. I've been carrying in them daily for over 5 years.

I've found these RGRIZZLE "City Slickers" to be light, comfortable, and TOTALLY consealable.
IMG_0496-1.jpg
IMG_0456-1.jpg

I haven't found anything I like better than my cactus holster: it allows me to wear it as a plain IWB, . . . it is tuckable (my shirt tucks in around it and totally conceals it), . . . or it can be used as an OWB for short durations.

I have both a brown and a black. With the accompanying gun belt, I have to sometimes consciously ask myself if I am carrying.

May God bless,
Dwight

Attachments

• my tan rig.jpg
    my tan rig.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 64
Most people go through a number of holsters. The ones I ended up liking are:

KHolster for 3:00-4:00 carry
Archangel for 1:30 AIWB Carry
Zack Holster for quick concealment AIWB

Before losing 30lbs, I could not carry AIWB. Now it is my preferred carry method. Most of the time, I carry a full size Taurus 809 in an Archangel copy I made. I am surprised how comfortable it is, and I could still lose another 20 lbs.

There's a bewildering number of them out there. When I took the course, some people were talking about Galco's, some Uncle Mikes, some C.T.A.C.
Which ones rate the best, and why, IYHO?

The best holster for you is one that will keep the pistol secure, cover the trigger, enhance concealability (keeping it snug against your body instead of allowing it to poke out) and keep the pistol accessible under any reasonably foreseeable circumstance.

Please understand that a good holster is only part of the equation. You will also need a good sturdy gunbelt (such as the ones made by The Beltman), and clothing that facilitates concealment (for example, a loose fitting patterned shirt instead of a tight white t-shirt).

Be prepared to try (and eventually reject) several before you find one that works really well.

And remember Clint Smith's comment. "Carrying a handgun isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to be comforting."

My crossbreed supertuck and belt make carrying quite comfortable.

No back pain, no sagging belt, and distributes the weight very well.

Find the best holster for you by going to your local gun store and try some ask questions explain how you want to carry and what you do in your daily life the best holster for me might be the worst holster for you

Back