New to black powder

sully2311

Hello all, my wife had surprised me with a pietta remington new model army and the starter kit for christmas. I have searched and found the various small things to look for gunsmithing wise for it and have shot at the range (@100 rounds) so far. Using a bench rest i shoot dead center target, freehand i shoot center but to the right. What should i do trigger finger wise to prevent that?

(Am left handed and haven't used my right hand yet)

Thanks in advance,
Sully

Try shifting your grip a little side to side. Make sure your rear sight is properly aligned with the front sight. Failing to continue to align the sights during the trigger press, moving the muzzle to the right while pressing the trigget will cause the shot to go right. Be consistent in your grip, sighting and trigger press. That should work for you.:cool:

Thought i was using too much finger on the trigger... Google left handed trigger finger analysis... Too little finger.... Hmmm!,,

Last edited:
I would congratulate your spousal unit.

She chose a good pistol to start with.

I don't know why, but the range masters in the Navy, referred to "too much trigger finger" as "Hauling Timber".

The phrase also was used to chastise folks for cheating at Cribbage when they took extra points.

Reverse the chart for left handed shooters.

You want the crease of your index finger on the trigger to pull it, don't use the pad of your finger to pull the trigger as most folks are taught to do. Since the crease does not have the meaty part of finger, you get an increased feel of the trigger in the crease.

Also with "As Issue" revolvers, low hand position on the grip causes high shots.

A too tight of a grip can cause this, too.
It stiffens the trigger finger and causes a pull to the weak side to compensate.
For a leftie, a pull to the right.

Back