New to black muzzel loaders

Krynite

Inactive
I am not new to guns, i recieved my first 4-10 when i turned 10, it belonged to my father and was given to him when he turned 9, i have shot it on many occations and have also gone hunting with it, I am in the military and am currently serving in Afghanistan.
this however is the first time i have thought about purchasing a muzzel loader, I was looking at getting a flintlock pistol and a black powder rifle. the pistol of course will be used for my personal enjoyment, since i am one who enjoys history and historic items, but the rifle will be used for hunting, i was wondering if there were any good historic looking rifles that would be good for hunting and also how i would go about choosing both types. i was also wondering if it would be best to get both in the same caliber.

thank you for your help.
Krynite

My personal favorite is a Pedersoli .54 cal percussion Tryon rifle with a Pedersoli .54 cal percussion Kentucky pistol for backup. It is a historically accurate rifle and pistol combination.

The Pedersolis are excellent guns and will give many years of service. The Tryon is available in .45, .50 and .54 percussion only, and is unfortunately special order only. The Kentucky pistol is also available in .45, .50 and .54 calibers, flint or percussion, and is a stock item at many US retailers.

Pedersolis are expensive, but they make a great variety of high quality guns. Here's a link to one retailer with a good reputation: Cherry's fine guns

The Lymans are also great guns. The Great Plains Rifle is available in .50 and .54 cal as mentioned above, and either can be had in flint or percussion. It has a companion Plains Pistol that's available in the same .50 and .54 caliber choices as the rifle but unfortunately it only comes with a percussion lock.

Lymans are quite a bit less expensive than Pedersolis but also fine guns. Here's their factory link: Lyman Home Page

Back