New to 1911

Micro man

Was reviewing the list of guns available at a LGS online last night and came across a Springfield 1911 A-1 which caught my attention. It got me to thinking that I have never owned one of the classic America firearms and maybe I needed more information.

Hoping members of the forum will give me some insight into what to look for, favorite makers, etc.

It would be a range gun only and I have a budget of about $600.

Thanks
Micro man

Please give your bank account our most heartfelt condolences. I have had a Springfield 1911A1 for about 10 years and I absolutely love it. IMHO, there is really nothing quite like a nice 1911. (And I say that, knowing that the SA is an 'entry level' 1911.) Any idea what model of 1911 they have at the LGS? Range Officer? GI? Mil-spec? If the price is right, I'd definitely get it.

Google “mhi fm-35 automatic pistol caliber .45 m1911 and m1911a” and you can find a nice copy of the old us government service manual from our military.

Save a copy to hard drive.

You might also want to but a barrel bushing wrench as they are cheap and sometimes nice to have although even my tight bullseye gun I could twist the nut using my bare hand. It’s how you get the slide off... sometimes the wrench is just easier. While you are shopping at brownells for a spring...

Decide what power level you want to shoot... basically “target” or “hard ball” and use the proper recoil spring. That is, don’t complain if your bullseye target loads don’t cycle your hardball spring and don’t batter your slide by shooting lots of hardball in a bullseye spring.

10 lb spring for target loads, 16 lbs for hardball (pretty usual) springs are $5-$10

Don’t think anything hit by a target load is going to dance around and say “nanny nanny boo boo.” Light loads in the .45 world are no joke.

Speaking of, if you don’t presently reload, this is one of those calibers for which handloading is easy and institutionalized. Before buying a bunch of expensive presses and stuff, check in here. You can make outstanding ammo with a really inexpensive rig. That’s important because factory ammo gets expensive fast.

Everyone at your range will thank you! The chest thumping .45 “boom!” from the guy in the next lane is much loved compared to the supersonic head splitting “CRACK!!!” from a .40.

1911’s can be fun and frustrating at the same time. It is an older design. Effectively that means 2 things....the parts are generally not able to be made to a final shape. There is almost always some fitting or something wrong due o not enough fitting. The second thing is that the design doesn’t have nearly infinite spring life like more modern designs.

That said, they are the funnest guns to shoot and carry!

Yes, they can be 100% reliable. If not, send it in....I doubt you will have to.

Micro
What to look for , not much on a new pistol . If the gun store will let you handle the pistol , #1 magazine release , make sure the magazine drops out when pressing on the release . This is still no big deal if it doesn't , only means the magazine is rubbing on the trigger bars . #2 With the magazine in rack the slide back to make sure it locks back , look at the stop and check if it's fully engaged in the cutout on the slide , at that point you could do test #1 #3 with the magazine out pull the locked back slide back a little more to release the slide , don't let it slam forward . Once it's in the normal position #3 Do all the safety checks , cock the hammer put on the thumb safety and press the trigger , switch off the safety , check the grip safety , hand off the grip safety press the trigger . Grip the gun press the trigger , you can hold the hammer so it doesn't slam forward to be nice . and can try the half cock safety . #4 with the magazine out press the trigger hold the trigger back and rack the slide keeping the trigger pressed , the hammer should stay back. Then when you release the trigger listen for a little click , that's the disconnector .. then you can press the trigger and the hammer will fall , all is good . .#5 grip the pistol grab the slide to check if it's tight or loose .#6 with the gun in the normal position press your finger in the front of the barrel to see if there is any play in the barrel bushing . #7 With the gun in the normal position press down on the rear of the Darrel in the ejection port to check for barrel lockup . And last #8 Overall appearance , dings , scratches and rust spots .

Does seem like a lot but will go fast and will let the store owner know you know something about the pistol . The 1911 is a great choice , I love them . Learn how to completely break it down , learn to change springs when needed , very easy . Nothing hard about the pistol , was designed to disassemble easily and clean . I think your hooked anyway , just get it home and join the club . Start out by shooting 230 gr FMJ 's to break it in . That's what the pistol was designed to shoot , after 200 rounds you can try different rounds but first get it shooting 100% reliable. Sorry for being so long winded , you probably already have the gun . Hope I Helped in some way .

Chris

Was reviewing the list of guns available at a LGS online last night and came across a Springfield 1911 A-1 which caught my attention. It got me to thinking that I have never owned one of the classic America firearms and maybe I needed more information.

Hoping members of the forum will give me some insight into what to look for, favorite makers, etc.

It would be a range gun only and I have a budget of about $600.

Thanks
Micro man
As to 1911s, I don't think you can go wrong with the Springfield version of the 1911A1. Especially in that price range.

I have one and it's my only full size 1911. It is Series 80 which is what I like...mine had the internal lock but I changed it out for a really nice SA main spring housing without it...the newer A1s might not have that lock. I think mine is US made, or at least mostly.

I was daunted when I first completely disassembled a 1911 but it is really not a difficult job at all. I don't mean field strip but total disassembly. Series 80 pistols are a bit simpler....I think the only tool I needed for disassembly was a screw driver for the grip screws....maybe a small punch, maybe not, can't recall exactly

I think you have the Series 80 stuff backwards.
"Series 70" is a Colt trademark for guns with the Accurizor bushing which has mutated in Internet-speak to mean "lacking a mechanical firing pin block."
"Series 80" is a Colt trademark which is often taken to mean any type of firing pin block, not just the Colt design.

Springfield Armory depends on a small diameter titanium firing pin to avoid firing if dropped muzzle down, there are no superfluous parts.

Jim Watson is correct. Many 1911 makers today use the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety. It uses two small levers inside the action, actuated by the trigger, to lift the safety plunger in the slide out of the way so the firing pin can fire. Those two levers don't make disassembly more difficult (but don't lose them!), but getting them in position and holding them there while trying to install the sear and hammer is something best accomplished by someone with three or four very small hands.

I use an AR-15 firing pin as a slave to hold the levers in place while installing the sear and hammer.

But, as Jim noted, a Springfield won't have that. It's a proprietary firing pin -- between a .45 and a 9mm in diameter -- but there's not much reason to replace a 1911 firing pin so that shouldn't be an issue.

I own four and think you would probably enjoy the gun. I have recent models from Wilson and Colt which both work flawlessly. I have older Colt and SA models that tend to be a little finicky and generally prefer ball ammo only. I guess the point is they can be a little "hit or miss" sometimes, but are generally a lot of fun.

It's un-American to not own a 1911-A1. It has to be the most recognized handgun in the world.

Springfield Armory manufactures quality 1911-A1's in the USA. I won't own another brand. In fact, I sold my Colts, including a Series 70, & replaced them with Springfield Armory 1911-A1's.

I'm awaiting on delivery of my Professional Model.

I have several 1911s my favorite is a Dan Wesson but I do have 2 springfields a trp and gi model. If your set on a A1 the springfield is probably the best in that price range. If your open to something with a few bells and whistles and can be had under $600 dont discount a Rock Island.

I'll jump in here, but most important information has been covered in the above posts. My two go to carry options these days are a Colt Series 70, that has been heavily modified to my likes, and a Range Officer Compact from Springfield Armory. I have owned Colts and Springfield 1911s for many years, and I just wanted to assure you the biggest advantage in owning a SA 1911 is their Customer Service is second to none. In fact I sent my Colt to SAs Custom Shop to have Dave Williams do a lot of custom work for me because they are so good. You can not go wrong with a Springfield 1911A1 in my opinion. Good Luck.

My first big boy hand gun --

16-Feb-2_zpsrp0j5rdt.jpg

The next 1911 will be a real one in .45 cal -- LOL

Back