New theory of self defense guns and loads.

mineralman

Ok, here goes the new theory. As long as a gun is of an appropriate size for the job at hand, is fully reliable, and throws a chunk of lead at soemthing resembling velocity, into an area half the size of a human torso, then it is a good self defense gun. A few fps aren't going to make much difference.

Here's my idea of a good way to choose a self defense gun:

1. If I pull the trigger, will it always go bang?

2. Does the gun fit the use? (service pistol for LEO type carry, small gun for CCW)

3. Will the bullet emerging from the bang go to point of aim?

4. Does it hold enough bullets to accomplish it's mission? (LEO: subdue multiple BG's; CCW: fight my way to vehicle for escape)

5. Is it in caliber other than .25 ACP?

Beyond these, most considerations are largely irrelevent. choosing a caliber and wrapping a gun around it is just mildly silly. otherwise you'd end up with guns tlike the custom number i saw at the range yesterday. It was a single action revolver, built on the Colt SAA model, but scaled up. It fired the 45/70 Gov't.

Over the years, several people have asked me what I thought the best gun for self defense was...my answer is always the same....The one you have with you when you need it!

I would make one minor adjustment in caliber recommendation:

1. For autmoatic pistols, .380 Auto or better. For revolvers, .38 Special or better.

In this case, "better" meaning "having more average foot-pounds of energy." I am still not at all convinced that .22LR or .32ACP is a viable defense round.

I've never played with the .32, so I don't know. I shoot bunches of .22, though, and I know I wouldn't want to have my life depend on that. Better than nothing though, which is more than i can say for the .25 ACP. I think i'd rather be unarmed than carry a .25. At least then i could focus on something useful, such as hand to hand. :)

That's pretty much my philosophy on handguns. Thats why I favor the Kahr K9 in the summer, Glock 23 in the winter. Both are appropriate for thier mission (CCW) and have proven 100% reliable. And they both are guns I will have on me or with me in some way.

At home my HK USP.40C picks up the slack. It fits the role of home defense gun better than the other 2.

If things get really bad, my AR gets to come out and play...

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

MineralMan is pretty well on the money, as there is no perfect gun for everyone. No single truck or auto can do the job for all folks, all of the time.
Thank God we live in an age of choices, and opportunity like none before us! Notice I didn't say FREEDOM, as it has certainly been declining for quite a few decades.
As to choices for CCW, I would recommend a "system" approach. I am becoming quite drawn to the DAO concept myself. Several different guns are available in any of the most popular pistol calibers. The point is, to have any size pistol you need depending on the need for discretion or for protection, and they will all operate exactly the same way. Under stress, this is what counts!

System approach? I'm guessing that you mean something to the effect of have all your CCW guns be of the same system, such as all glocks, or all revolvers, or all SA auto's, etc. Sounds like reasonable thinking to me. THat way if in winter I get used to carrying a 1911 for example, (I wish I actually had one!) then for summer, I should probably carry another single action, rather than oh, say a 357 snub. that way i'm not standing there like a fool looking for a safety. Am I right?

~~~Mineralman :)

Exactly; but, that's not to say that different systems are incompatible. Dedicated and continuous training can more than make up for different choices of gun. Indeed, a LWC is my preferred companion; but
it too has ONE pull, the same way for each shot.
I only question whether the average shooter has the discipline to go from a Glock to a Colt to a Sig and back w/o difficulty. I would gather that most of the folks on this site are either above-average, or at least dedicated to being so.

Back