• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

New TFL Software

RWK

Rich (and all others who contributed) --

Truly excellent, moving us from perfectly adequate to elegant.

Sincerely, thank you and best regards -- Roy

Rich et al, this is absolutely fantastic! Very impressive.

A company I know has been developing their own, proprietary software for a very similar task. As far as I can tell, the only thing that discouraged them about existing forum software was the inability to attach files. Now I see absolutely no reason for them to continue their expensive development.

Bravo, Rich! Thank you.

Regards from AZ

Rich,

I like it too! However I think the little arrow icons on the forum index page in with the post titles are a bit much. To me, they seem to clutter up things. I love the rest of the new look. Sorry to throw a wet blanket on your hard work and dedication.

I appreciate everything you do for us!

Joe

http://second-amendment-homepage.com

Boy that was fast... as soon as I made my post the arrows changed design. The new ones look much better...

thanks,
Joe

Joe-
Those arrows are clickable...they take you to the most recent post in that Forum. I don't know how useful they are...I never use 'em.
Rich

Hey the new version of the vbulletin looks great, interface is definitely improved.

Is it just me, or does this version seem to be slower at loading pages...I also find when I'm trying to load a TFl page and try to look over on another browser window, it freezes up momentarily until the TFL page fully loads. I've experienced this with other boards using the latest vbulletin software.

I know its not just my computer, I tried it on others and get similar results.

I've not had the problem, but it's possible.

I do know that the database work (search word indexing, updating post counts and the like) is faster by about a factor of 10! However, these do minimal passes to the Browser.

Developer discussion forums are located here. I've seen no bug reports regarding speed and these guys are all over this software.

I sense that the post editing takes a bit longer, but I suspect this is because it needs to re-access the Search Index, which in our case is 290 MB! (I set the search to be able to accomodate words as small as 3 letters...this increases the size by 50 percent vs 4 letters and up.)

Rich

Rich,

On a couple of the forums that I go to, the uploaded images display right in the post without having to click on a link. Is there any way you could set this forum up like that?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe-
It can be set to auto-display. However, it's a real drag for people with slower modems. We've always prefered that people post links to images rather than embed them.
Rich

This new forum is the absolute worst for people with slow loaders. The only benefit is that you can clean a gun while you go from one forum to the next. It's that slow. I'll have to try my laptop tomorrow to see if the speed increases. Unless mine is an isolated case you are going to lose a lot of members unless something can be done about the speed.

I cannot hit faster than 28K on my line due to analog switching. The board seems just fine on my end regarding speed.

What exactly is the purpose of the little "go" button next to the forum jump selection at the bottom of the page? I noticed that it goes ahead and jumps to the new forum the moment you chose it, without waiting for you to click "go".

Except for the noted problem on my end, this new software is fantastic.

I'm still trying to figure out the proper function for some of the vB code tools, though.

OH NO!!! I got an error saying I used to may images, and when I clicked "back" my message wasnt there anymore!!! (it was A LONG Message too) I think I only used like 6-7 smiles in it. Oh well I guess :(

Back