New TACTICAL GP100!

Model12Win

Gang there are some new tactical GP100s from Wilson Combat/Robar:

P1490928.jpg

http://rockeguns.com/product/tactical-limited-wilson-combat-ruger-gp100-dao-blackout-copy/

Gussied up with custom grip panels, DAO, sights, and many other things. Only thing is they want $1755.00 for one. Woo, must be a good revolver or at least I'd hope so.

Like most Wilson Combat products, I think their main merit is as a show-off gun or for collecting. I personally don't believe you need an almost $1800 revolver to be effective for defense or "combat" but that's just me.

What do you all think about this souped-up run of GPs?

-M12

Nice-looking pieces. Wish there was some way to get my hands on one before laying down all the $$$. I'm sure WC smoothed up and lightened the stock trigger pull and such, but it would be nice to get a few trigger pulls in before dropping a house payment on it.

I'd buy one but they still have the ugly "read instruction manual" warning.:D. The melted look is interesting but that front sight is what's going to catch on stuff...

No disrespect intended, I’m not the biggest fan of boutique guns, and the premium prices they seem to command.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That muzzle and underlug profile make it look a bit cartoonish.

But, more importantly:
Even a custom shop can't get the parting line to match up again after cracking that frame joint open the first time.
Makes me feel better about my own Ruger DAs...

I dunno. Gun makers seem compelled to (like every other company making products now) come out with something new, even though the tried and true get the job done. My 4" SS GP100 (model 01771) is all the revolver I expect I'll ever need. It's all marketing, to a public who covets the latest, coolest, costliest.

I would go with a Wiley Clapp GP100, way less money. My local dealer has a used SS one as well as about 3 of the Blued version.
I had a Wilson Combat Super RedHawk a while back. I was not all that impressed with the trigger job on it. The GP100 and Super RedHawk have the same trigger parts, so they should have the same trigger job from Wilson.
You should be able to get into a Wiley Clapp GP100 for between $600 and $730 I would think. If you wanted a bobbed hammer, that should be a fairly cheap modification, and only require shipping the hammer to get the work done. Novak sights come on a Wiley Clapp, changing the front sight to an XS night sight is not that expensive. The SS version of the Wiley Clapp comes with a Fiber Optic front sight while the Blued version has a Gold Bead front sight. I like the looks of the Wiley Clapp Grips better also.
Do a search on a Wiley Clapp GP100 and have a look at one.

Just My 2 Cents

Bob R

Last edited:
Anyone click the link? That bizarre wall of text ...is not the way to sell guns.

I don't get it. Oh well.

The "bizarre wall of text" seems to say that
it's a "layaway gun" for when you really need
something that will work after being in a drawer
for eons.

The whole thing is silly.

Agree that the Wiley Clapp fills the bill.

Or for that matter an off-the-shelf
GP-100.

Hellofa lot of money for a Ruger...even stamped with Wilson's name. At a thousand less, I'd like it enough to give it a try...wonder what makes it worth that amount? Rod

What do you all think about this souped-up run of GPs?
The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

Like most Wilson Combat products, I think their main merit is as a show-off gun or for collecting.
The guns are from Rocke Guns. Not WC. They use some WC parts.

Jim

Last edited:
The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

^^^I tend to agree. Seems folks think the word "tactical" is gonna make something sell regardless of how ugly and worthless it is. Besides, everyone knows a handgun is not considered truly "Tactical" unless it has a gizmo rail on it!:D

The 4" GP I've had since they first came to Canada 35 or so years ago, has always been "tactical". And there's no such thing as a tactical anything. It's a marketing term only.
$1755.00USD for any revolver is insane.

Back