NEW Style Lee Factory Crimp Die

robhic

I like the results I get from the LFCD so I use them. I know it's not necessary but it works for me. This post is about the (I guess?) new style unit. The older style dies had a body containing a free-floating ring to iron out the length of the cases and a screw-in upper part that set the actual crimp. The results looked good, IMO, and for $18+/- it wasn't a big deal. I had to get a replacement for the 9mm one I had (don't ask :frown:) so I got a new one. This new one is a bit different.

It's a one-piece body with no screw-in upper or floating ring. (I guess cost-cutting reasons) It looks like you screw it into the press until it hits the ram (same as older type). But the inside has no ring and you screw the entire body in or out to achieve the crimp instead of the moving upper part. Anybody seen or used one of these? I'd be curious to hear comments and will leave my own after trying it out.

Are you certain they sent you the correct die?

The sizing ring in the factory crimp die was not floating, it was fixed. And Lee's web site still shows it that way, with an adjustable crimping stem.

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ie-set-pistol/

I just bought a set of Lee dies for .40 S&W. The FCD looks like the one shown on the web site. When I say "just bought" -- they arrived today.
The other FCD that I own and use have a floating carbide post-sizing ring inside and the top portion of the unit screws in/out to make the actual crimp. I, too, just bought (arrived last week) the deluxe 4-piece .40S&W set for my grandson to use and learn to reload. This new 9mm FCD I just received looks more like the pass-thru die (#2). It is just the body which screws into the press and you adjust the entire unit (after it touching the ram) up & down instead of the other style which had the floating ring and adjustable top half.

Is that a better description? I've got 38/357, .45acp, .45LC and had the 9mm which is the one I'm replacing. Plus the .40 FCD which came with the new set.

It seems I've managed to confuse myself here, too. I have Lee FCD with a floating, post-sizing collar:

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die/

I've used these dies for a while and I like the finished rounds. The 9mm unit I had got messed up so I ordered another. I got a Lee factory crimp die unlike the others I had. That's what the paper in the package called it "Lee Factory Crimp Die" but this one was a one-piece unit with nothing inside and no screw top part to adjust for the final crimp. It actually resembles the pass-through expander die. After looking at a bunch of LFCD info and stuff I've come to the conclusion that what I just got is not even close to what I had or wanted.

Even factory ammo doesn't seem to want to fit and I don't want to force anything. So I need to get rid of this item I have and find the correct LFCD for 9mm with the floating ring and adjustable top half. Mystery solved (I think).

robhic said:
It seems I've managed to confuse myself here, too. I have Lee FCD with a floating, post-sizing collar:

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/
That's the same cut-away view that Lee uses in the illustration I posted a link to, above. That does not show a floating carbide ring, it shows a fixed carbide ring. That's what all my factory crimp dies look like. I have them in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The carbide rings in all of them are fixed, not floating.

robhic said:
This new 9mm FCD I just received looks more like the pass-thru die (#2).
What pass-through die are you referring to? What's #2?

As I asked in my initial response: Are you certain that Lee sent you the correct die?

A couple of problems here. One, "floating" in loading dies means to be able to freely wiggle around in the die body in the horizontal plane to self-center. I've never seen a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die in which the ring wiggled freely in the die body and would figure it was loose if it did.

Two, the Lee Factory Crimp Die and the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die are not the same tool. The, Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die in 9 mm Luger is their part number 90860. Check the part number on the box for the die you got. If it matches, the wrong product was in the box. Find the part number or description on the die and call Lee to see what it actually is and to get replacement instructions. (262) 673-3075

That's the same cut-away view that Lee uses in the illustration I posted a link to, above. That does not show a floating carbide ring, it shows a fixed carbide ring. That's what all my factory crimp dies look like. I have them in .380 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. The carbide rings in all of them are fixed, not floating.
OK, I think this will explain it. What I was calling the "floating post-sizing ring" was actually the sizing sleeve. My mistake. What I have are Lee CARBIDE FCD. Those have the sizing sleeve and the adjustable screw top half. I now have a Lee FCD and need the Carbide FCD. Two different items. I have to find a Carbide FCD and figure what to do with the plain Lee FCD I have. Does that make more sense? And what is that plain FCD do? The #2 I referred to is the pass-through expander die in the illustration. Hope this will explain a bit better.

A couple of problems here. One, "floating" in loading dies means to be able to freely wiggle around in the die body in the horizontal plane to self-center. I've never seen a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die in which the ring wiggled freely in the die body and would figure it was loose if it did.
This has ALL been my mistake due to wrong terminology. The "floating post-sizing ring" is really the "sizing sleeve."

What I have and what I wanted was the Lee CARBIDE FCD. What I have now is the Lee FCD. I need the carbide die and bought the wrong item, thinking it a new style. My mistake. I guess "nevermind" is in order and thanks for all the time and info.

Lee makes three styles of crimp pistol crimp dies. The factory crimp die, collet crimp die and crimp die. The third is really just a seat/crimp die without the adjustable seating stem.

I guess we have established that the die you bought was not the die you thought you had bought, so that's progress. Going forward, I think there are still some terminology gaps at work that should be clarified for the benefit of others who may find this thread and use it for guidance.

You wrote:

robhic said:
The #2 I referred to is the pass-through expander die in the illustration. Hope this will explain a bit better.
The name for that die is "powder through expander die," not "pass through." When you wrote about a pass through die, I immediately thought you were referring to either a bullet sizing die or Lee's "bulge buster" case sizing die -- both of which are literally pass through, with the bullet or case entering from the bottom and being ejected from the top.

robhic said:
I now have a Lee FCD and need the Carbide FCD. Two different items.
The only factory crimp die that Lee makes is the carbide factory crimp die. As Montana55 posted above, they also make a collet crimp die, and a crimp die. The collet style crimp die is not offered in 9mm, so you can't have one of those. Lee does offer a taper crimp die in 9mm, and it looks like what you described. It is not called a "factory crimp die."

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/taper-crimp-die/

Is this the die we're discussing?

I'd be interested to see a picture of what you have that shows the part number. Lee's site doesn't show a regulary FCD available in 9 mm. I wondered if it might be a taper crimp die?
Yep.

The only factory crimp die that Lee makes is the carbide factory crimp die. As Montana55 posted above, they also make a collet crimp die, and a crimp die. The collet style crimp die is not offered in 9mm, so you can't have one of those. Lee does offer a taper crimp die in 9mm, and it looks like what you described. It is not called a "factory crimp die."

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...per-crimp-die/

Is this the die we're discussing?
Yep. I bought the wrong one. Need the carbide FCD. That's what I had. That's what I need. Thanks for your help and time. I now know there are 2 Lee factory crimp dies and I need the carbide one. Thanks.

robhic said:
I now know there are 2 Lee factory crimp dies and I need the carbide one.
No, Sir. There are not two factory crimp dies. There is the "Carbide Factory Crimp Die" (the one you want), and there is the "Taper Crimp Die" (the one you bought), which is NOT called "factory crimp die" by Lee or by anyone else except you.

There are not two factory crimp dies. There is the "Carbide Factory Crimp Die" (the one you want), and there is the "Taper Crimp Die" (the one you bought), which is NOT called "factory crimp die"
OK, fair enough. However I got my carbide die and refurbished it (the cause for this entire thread), got it working and now have a taper crimp die I do not want nor need. Could you use it? I'd be happy to give/send it to you free of charge cuz I NEVER want to see it again!!!

Back