new stock fer a custom barreled Howa 1500

HAMMER1DOWN

Hi there, both me and friend have Howa 1500's his in 7mm mag and mine in 300 win mag and we are both buyin new ER Shaw barrels with 1.25 inch diameters and we are wondering where we can get a good stock to fit these rifles.. thanks we are looking fer a more sniper feel to the rifles real comfortable to shoot all day..

Hi there, bacatcha! Man, HAMMER1DOWN, that was the most beautiful run-on, no punctuation sentence I have ever seen.

Oh, it is' my friend and I' ...

'fer a more sniper feel to the rifles real comfortable to shoot all day' .... love it :)

Thanx for the laugh. Hope you find your stock. Maybe a good, straight grain fir 4x4 and a barlow???

I was in a hurry and why do ya gotta make fun o' the way I talk?:confused:? And I am lookin more into synthetic stocks, not so much wood ones.

Then search or call Brownell's, MidwayUSA, Cheaper Than Dirt, Midsouth, ..... Some specify bbl channel, some do not. There are usually stock advertisements in American Rifleman and Hunter, and other magazines. jmr has a couple of good sights listed. These are quality stocks ... as to be expected by their price.

Because the Howa is not as common as say, Rem 700 or Winc M70 bbl-actions, you will probably have to call the suppliers. Howa also built S&W rifles so they could be listed that way. I have had one of each (walnut stocked) and they are good rifles.

Last edited:
I did my Howa 1500 in a Boyds thumbhole.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-Weatherby-s/34.htm
They are actually great stocks for the money but one thing should be known about them. That is the fact that they intentionally sell them all with a very short length of pull so they can accommodate most customers. I just removed the cheap butt pad and spacer & installed a Kick Eeez 1 3/8" (grind to fit) recoil pad and a 1/4" spacer. Can't beat it for a "semi Custom" finished stock. $105 to your door plus the price of the recoil pad if needed. Very nice setup!

I gave a short response the 1st time because I was busy at the time. After looking at your options it seems you can forget HS-Precision because it does not appear they make one for your rifle.

If you are going to the trouble and expense to have a heavy target barrel put on your rifle you may as well put a quality stock on it as well. The McMillian will run a little over $400 and is by far the best and worth every penney.

If you don't want to spend that much go with one of the Boyds laminated stocks for just over $100. The laminated stocks are good. They are way too heavy for my tastes in a hunting rifle, but this is going to be a heavy rifle anyway so an extra 1/2 lb or so in the stock will probably not be noticed.

Bell and Carlson www.bellandcarlson.com makes a version for around $225 that will fit your rifle. They look like they should be a decent stock, but I've had nothing but trouble with them. Ordered 2 and neither fit right and even after working on them the rifles shot worse than before.

I don't care for the Hogue's either, but they do make a target version that will fit the Howa. www.getgrip.com

It's your money and I know you prefer synthetic to laminated wood, but I think the Boyds stock is far superior to any of the other choices other than the McMillan.

Hello,
The Axiom Stock with the aluminum forearm is on sale at Blackhawk online.

WAS $589.99 >>>> NOW OVER 57% OFF! GET YOURS FOR $249.99

For the ultimate in rifle stocks, Knoxx presents the Knoxx Axiom V/S Rifle Stock™ for bolt-action rifles. This stock utilizes the SpecOps recoil-reducing stock along with a CNC-machined billet all aluminum fore-stock for the absolute maximum in accuracy and stability. Matchless in design and ergonomics, the Axiom V/S Rifle Stock™ is at home in the forest, on the competition bench or on the battlefield.

I have the all plastic Axiom and it is a great stock. The Recoil Reduction Works. I am buying one now myself.

Here is a link:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axiom-VS-Rifle-Stock,219,166.htm
Thanks Norm

Hogue stocks build stocks to fit heavy barreled Howa actions. You can order a plain stock, one with pillars, or a full lengh alunimum bedding block all depending on what you can afford.

Back