New Stevens Model 200

Scout

I took delivery of a Stevens 200 in.243 Saturday and mounted a Bushnell 3*9*40 on it. Bought Winchester 100gr. Power Points. The best I could do at 100 yds was about 2-3 inches. I'm sure it's ammunition, so I'll try another load soon. 2-3 is acceptable, I know, but my Model 110 groups much tighter, so I'll expect that from this one as well. Overall, I'm pleased with the rifle. It seems to be a solidly constructed woods rifle. Doe anyone else have this model and caliber? If so, what factory load has worked best in your rifle? Thanks!

Its not the same caliber, but a friend just bought that rifle in .223. He's only fires about 2 boxes of cheap 55gr american eagle ammo through it, but its Well under an moa rifle...one 3 shot group was in the range of .3"

I wouldn't expect an 1" group out of that rifle. I just purchased a Stevens myself in .223, and with the trigger it had I doubt I could have pulled off 1" groups with it on a regular basis. 1" groups are easy here on the forum but seldom so in real life, but I'd still think sub 2" groups are a worthy expectation of the rifle.

I'd still double check the scope mounts and make sure everything is tight, the scope should handle the recoil of the .243 but you never know. You can adjust the trigger a little on the Stevens, and change out the spring to lighten up the trigger pull. I however just bought a Sharp Shooter Supply competition trigger, but that will take you out of the cheap rifle catagory real quick. Go over to SavageShooters.com for tricks to make your rifle shoot better.

I converted my Stevens to a 6mm-.222 Rem Mag and I haven't shot it enought to know if it will be a sub 1" tack driver yet but the loads are promising. However I invested in a new recoil lug to help improve the accuracy as well. I still need to add pillars and full length glass bed the rifle and add a metal trigger guard (for more consistant torque of the action screws than plastic) to get the best accuracy I possibly can out of this rifle.

A replacement trigger is a good investment from the accuracy standpoint, but first I'd use the adjustment built into the factory trigger to see if that helped.

There are a lot of different weights of bullets available for .243's. Get a box of a bunch of different ones and see which shoot the tightest for you if you are really going to try to wring some accuracy out of it.

Jimro

I like the idea of trying to adjust the trigger. I've never done it before because my 110 was good out of the box. It's a 20 year old non-accutrigger model in 30.06 that shoots 1 in. groups regularly. I love that rifle...That's why I bought the Stevens.

Accessories Yet?

Is the Stevens 200 an economy version of the old 110? Are there aftermarket drop in wood stocks yet? Adjustable triggers etc? Looks like a cheap platform to customize cheaply...
;)

Sounds cheap to customize but it adds up in a hurry here is pretty much how my 6mm-.222 RM build went.

Rifle $280
Barrel $260
SSS Trigger $97
SSS Recoil Lug $28
Tac Bolt handle $42
Leupold PRW $35
Weaver bases $6

Then when you throw in a set of reloading dies and 100 pieces of new brass the total gets over $800 real quick. Add a stock and and decent scope and you will have over $1000 in a cheap rifle build real quick.

However you do get the satisfaction of building your own rifle and that is worth a lot to some people.

Last edited:
Yes, the Stevens is essentially the Savage 110 pre accutrigger. Coincidentally my favorite rifle of all time...

Savage/Stevens 200

I tried attaching a photo of my 110 meter target from my Stevens .223. Six round group: first round for scope adjustment, 2 rounds @ 4.5x, 1 round @ 9x, and 2 rounds @ 14x. If this don't come out, please will some old hand explain how you attach JPEG photos to the link? Thanks

Attachments

• Stevens200@100M.jpg
    Stevens200@100M.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 278
There you go, that's how mine will shoot when I get it figured out. It'll have to wait , though, archery season starts Saturday!

I had a stevens 200 in .223 that average about .75", I loved it except for the trigger. I tried adjusting the trigger on it but it didn't help much. I bedded the plastic stock (mostly just to see if I could) and it helped immensley. I think that would be the first thing I did after finding a good load for it. The stevens use a fairly flimsy plastic stock and it does not mate well to the action, it is much too soft. Over all it is a decent rifle, but I hated the trigger enough to sell the gun. I didn't want to invest a bunch of money into a cheap .223 when I just bought a .308 win Remington 700.

I actually prefer the pre-accutrigger savages and newer Stevens rifles. You can still adjust the trigger, put a very light polish job (careful to not remove ANY metal) and it's one of the better triggers I've ever pulled. To the point of I would rate it beside a quantico built M40.

At any rate, I've always found Winchester ammo wanting. My personal preference is federal ammo, and I consistantly hold .75moa or better to 300 yards. If the conditions warrant, I've been known to have days with an average of under .5moa... @ 200 yards. Of course, I built my rifle. Personal observation, and I've shot a few, I've never seen a savage that wouldn't hold 1.5 moa out of the box with the right ammo. Most hold closer to 1 or slightly better.

Last edited:
Thank you...I agree 100% including about the Federal ammo. My 110 loves the Hi shock, but they don't make it anymore...

Follow up

Well, I tried some Federal Power Shok 80 grain soft points and the results were much better. She printed groups right around 1 inch. That's what I was hoping for. Thanks for all of the advice!

dont diss a stevens 200

Mine in .223, bone stock trigger and all, first day out with my reloads, (I know its not zero'd on the target), also shot a whistle pig at 193yds (small target!)

100yd 3 round shot, one clover leafed hole
453163579_nYQNy-L.jpg

Back