New Springfield Range Officer Elite 9mm Slide Lock Issue

Winny

Good evening folks! I’ve had my eye on a SA RO Elite 9mm Champion for a while, and found a good deal on one today so I picked it up. I took it apart and got all the factory goop off and cleaned everything with some CLP.

Slide is smooth, trigger pull is clean, the gun feels great in hand. That said, while running some snap caps through I noticed 2 issues that caused some concern.

1. Slide lockback with an empty mag is unreliable. When I remove the slide and insert mags, they have no problem pushing up the slide stop, but with the gun assembled, it appears the follower isn’t fully engaging the slide stop.

2. When the magazine is full (9 rounds) the first few nose dive. When it’s loaded with 5 rounds it’s a non issue. Worth noting this is with FMJ shaped snap caps and the gun has not been fired.

When reassembling, the slide stop and plunger don’t seem to get along, and I have to depress the plunger to get the slide stop back in. I’m assuming this will break in with time and may play a hand in the lack of locking back.

This is my first 1911-style pistol, and although I shot them growing up and have shot and handled several over the years, I am a novice in every sense of the word with this platform.

I’m planning on taking it to the range this weekend and running a few hundred rounds through it to see if it will loosen things up. I’ve also got some new mags in the mail from Metalform, Springfield OEM, and CMC. Any suggestions on troubleshooting should the above not help? I’d hate to send it in to SA so soon, though I know they’ll take care of me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

When reassembling, the slide stop and plunger don’t seem to get along, and I have to depress the plunger to get the slide stop back in. I’m assuming this will break in with time and may play a hand in the lack of locking back.
Let's tackle the easy problem first.

No, it will not break in with time.

What you can do is use a small round file to cut a channel in the slide stop that will engage the nose of the plunger as you go about pushing the slide stop back into the frame. This channel greatly eases this task and prevents what is commonly called the "idiot scratch" on the side of the frame below the slide stop.

The pictures below shows the channel on the right side. You want it only big enough to do the job so proceed slowly and test fit often. Other folks use different less intrusive methods to solve this problem such as inserting a credit card between the slide stop and the plunger. No doubt, others will weigh in with their preferred method.

7eiBNIO.jpg

f6xbOot.jpg

During your test firing I suggest running a simple test I learned from Hilton Yam to determine if your extractor has been properly fit by Springfield. You can read about it HERE.

With regards to the interface between the magazine follower and slide stop, I recommend the following:

Disassemble the magazine by depressing the follower and inserting an object (straightened paper clip, toothpick, Etc) completely through the holes in the magazine body to trap the follower spring in the compressed condition. Once the spring is trapped you can shake the follower out past the feed lips.

The follower has a lower leg which engages the slide stop lug. Using a pair of pliers, carefully bend the lower leg to the side so it will better engage the slide stop's lug. You don't have to bend it much. A sixteenth of an inch will be plenty. If you bend it too much it will rub the inside wall of the mag body and possibly get stuck.

Re-install the follower and release the spring. The slide should lock back reliably.

RickB said:
Check to make sure it's a 9mm slide stop (most are numbered on the back).
Rick, I have worked on scores -- maybe hundreds -- of 1911s over the past 20 or so years and I have never seen a slide stop that was numbered on the back. I just pulled the slide stop out of my Colt Officers ACP and looked -- no number.

I've never seen a numbered slide stop either.... that said, call SA if you have problems.

Don't monkey with it yourself. They will fix it, no questions asked.

I only have four Colts that's aren't .45s, and all have numbers; "2" for .22, "3" for 9/.38, and "4" for .40/10; .45 may not be numbered.

I'll admit to no longer having any Springfields.

EDIT: This is from another forum:

Slide Stop Lug Dimensions
Unmarked: length .197; Standard .45
Number 1: length .197; Caliber .45
Number 2: length .205-.210; ACE, Conversion Unit, .38 AMU & .38 NM
Number 3: length .215-.220; Super .38 / .38 Super Auto
Number 4: length
M: length .197; Match

Last edited:
That explains it -- I've only worked on one Colt 9mm 1911 that I can recall (a Commander), and it had been modified by a previous owner so there's no way of knowing if the slide stop was the original.

Now if you could come up with a similar list for the Series 80 plunger lever differences, I'd really pay attention.

P.S.: Is there any chance you can put a dimension to the #4? Just to fill out the list? I'm going to transcribe this and print it out for my workbench.

RickB said:
If not numbered, how do other manufacturers tell them apart?
They probably don't bother. I've had .45 ACP 1911s that needed a "9mm" slide stop from Brownells to lock open reliably, and I've had 9mm 1911s that choked on a "9mm" slide stop but ran perfectly happily with a generic .45 ACP slide stop. I've concluded that what fits what is at least as much a matter of tolerance stacking as it is design.

Don't monkey with it yourself. They will fix it, no questions asked.

New mags didn’t do anything to remediate the issue, so SA has a new slide stop coming my way. If that doesn’t fix things, I’ll send it back.

They were very helpful and had a pretty serious “no questions asked” process. I hold customer service very high in regards to firearms so that’s a great start.

Hopefully the new stop will clear things up!

I have the SA 1911 9mm RO and had a lot of feed issues early on. I broke it down, cleaned all original lube, did the lube/heat treat with Militec-1 gun oil and have had far better luck since then. I also got the 10 round mags from I forget, and they had their own issues at first. It is now pretty much all ironed out from a little use. In general, I found this gun to have not so great fit and finish. I've gotten cut on a couple rough edges on the sights and slide. I'm trying to decide between a 911 and a Sig p238 and I'm liable to go with Sig based on my desire for reliability out of the box. (I read the 911 has run in issues that sound a lot like mine on the 1911 9mm RO.)

Back