New Springfield Armory M1 Garand

Matt Sutton

I stopped in by the local shop today on the way to pick up dinner. This is a shop that carries new guns only. The second I saw the racks, it stood out like a sore thumb. 'Twas a brand spankin new M1 Garand. I initially thought it was one of the IAI models, but when I saw the "Made in Italy" stamp across the side of the receiver, I knew it was a Springfield as they have contracted with Beretta to manufacture the receivers.
The most striking aspect was the wood. It sported very nicely figured walnut, although I was dissappointed with the fit between the stock and the handguard. The stock was much fatter than the handguard, creating a large ridge. I suppose this is common, but it still didn't appeal to my eye.
The other thing that got me was its pure lack of charachter. I've personally never seen a Garand without a scratch and a ding or two. It was just weird to see one in "perfect" condition.

Now the kicker.....price. How much would you pay for this fine rifle? $1000? $2000? No! It could have been mine for $799+tax! Not bad, IMO. I personally would still consider getting one from CMP or used market however. A Garand just needs to have "soul".

If I'm not mistaken, Beretta made Garands for the Italian army shortly after WW2 with expertise and so forth from the US. They should be pretty good, but I couldn't pay that much for when there's US issue originals for $300 less.

Apologies to the members and the moderators. I meant to choose 'no' to the bump warning about an old post but had a brain fart and here's where I am.
Mods, please remove this.
Again, apologies,
Chiz

Back