New Smoke Pole

Vermonter

Well I finally won an anterless permit for up here in Vermont so I decided it was time to buy a smoke pole.

images

The above is the one I went with. It is a traditions pursuit ultralight. I went with it specifically because of its weight and because my LGS was willing to give me a decent deal on it. (i do my best to use him when I can). He basically charged me MSRP for the gun and a Simmons scope then threw in 40 powerbelt pullets, a box of 209 primers, a box of pellets, a dog bone primer loading tool, and the scope bases.

I checked using what power belt says online for ballistics and plugged that data into a hornady ballistics calculator. From what I can tell a 30 yard zero gives me accuracy out to 125 yards and shorter. Does this sound right? Any input would be appreciated.

Regards, Vermonter

I checked using what power belt says online for ballistics and plugged that data into a hornady ballistics calculator. From what I can tell a 30 yard zero gives me accuracy out to 125 yards and shorter. Does this sound right? Any input would be appreciated.

Don't know the particulars of the load data you plugged in...I.E, powder charge or bullet weight.

Have found most of these ballistic calculator data links to be in the same category as bore sighting a firearm. They get you on paper. But you still have to fine tune and tailor things for optimum accuracy . Especially on a bp rifle as every bp rifle prefers its own specific load.

Too, have found in my inlines that charges much north of 110-115grns seems to increase ' flyers' with the PB's. But are usually very accurate at around 90-95grns.

YMMV, so again, range time will tell.

Congrats on your new rifle.

Last edited:
shortwave

I was assuming two pellets so 100 grains. The load is a 245 gr with a bc of .140 so it should be going 1900fps at the muzzle according to Powerbelt. I took the velocity, bc, projectile weight, maximum range, and a 30 yard zero and plugged it into hornadays ballistic calculator. I got a mostly flat trajectory out to 125 yards and at 125 a 3"drop.

I used a 30 yard zero based on their calculator that showed the flattest trajectory with this load. Basically I am trying to determine how realistic this data is.

My plan is to zero at 30 yards and shoot it enough to verify that I am getting acceptable accuracy from 0-100 in 25 yard increments. If i can make that happen then I am a happy man.

With the .245 grn PB using a 100gr. charge, I bet you will be happy.

Are you using the Aerotip series?

Get back with us on a range report.

Just regular hollowpoints

Some claim the reg HP fragment too much on impact. Resulting in a non pass through on the deer and little blood trail. I used to shoot the 348grn lead HP when PowerBelts were called Black Belts and sold by Big Bore Express. I did not experience the fragmenting nor the lack of blood trail with these heavier bullets that some are claiming to experience with the lighter HP PowerBelts.

I will say that for the last several years, I have used the 245grn Aerotip on deer and have had good success with them. Getting good pass through and blood trail. Have to say that my preferred shot is the broadside, heart/lung
shot and most have been taken with that shot without contacting heavy bone.

If you use the HP's and bag a deer, come back and let us know how they did.

range for a bit

Had a chance to verify zero at 30 yards today . Got it hitting the left edge of a business card, I will hit the rifle range monday and verify random distances. This is a breeze and very accurate .

Back