New Smith & Wesson Carry Gun!

JSMidd

Picked up a Smith & Wesson 627-5 Performance Center. What's not to like? It's got the capacity of a 1911, the superiority of magnum rounds, the ease of reloads with full moon clips, the compactness of a boot grip/short barrel, the rugged reliability of a revolver, and the smooth trigger action of a Smith!

Here's my first 50 rounds at 15 yards, all double action...

Awesome gun. You'll need a good belt to carry that. But you'll be in good shape should you ever need to unholster it.

Very nice purchase!

How's the recoil on that?

FYI my personal limit is I won't fire 158 grain .357 magnum rounds out of a Ruger LCR. I will fire a few 125 grain .357 magnum rounds out of the little gun. Your 627 is heavier than the LCR. What do you think of the recoil?

The recoil is SOFT. I think the Performance Center really nailed it on this one. I don't know if they weighted the barrel lug more, or what, but I shot this next to my Ruger Gp100 Match Champion (4.2" barrel), and the Ruger has significantly more felt recoil, according to me and the four other shooter that I had feel the same two guns.

For a short barrel, small grip revolver, this thing OVERPERFORMS.

JSMidd said:
The recoil is SOFT. I think the Performance Center really nailed it on this one. I don't know if they weighted the barrel lug more, or what, but I shot this next to my Ruger Gp100 Match Champion (4.2" barrel), and the Ruger has significantly more felt recoil, according to me and the four other shooter that I had feel the same two guns.
Part of the equation for recoil energy is bullet velocity:
E = 1/2 (Wg / 32.17) (Wb x MV + 4700 x Wp / 7000 x Wg)squared.

Where E = recoil Energy in ft. lbs., Wg = Weight of gun in pounds, Wb = Weight of bullet in grains, MV = Muzzle Velocity of bullet in feet-per-second, Wp = Weight of powder in grains. (the 4700 is the escape velocity of the powder gasses, 32.17 is the gravitational constant, and the 7000 is to make the answer come out in foot pounds and not grains)

All else being equal (same load, same weight of gun, etc.) a shorter barreled gun will have less actual recoil than a longer barreled one due to lower muzzle velocity, and the perceived recoil is reduced additionally by a shorter recoil impulse time.

Back