New smith 637 owner questions

TonyRogo

Hello everyone,

New to revolvers but not hand guns.

Anyway I purchased a brand new 637 I havent taken to the range yet. I noticed the next day the screw holding in the thumb latch that open the cylinder was loose. So no biggie I took the right size screw driver and made it snug but not too tight. I called CS and they told me that sometimes this happens and just to tighten it.

My question is ... should i use clear nail polish or blue loctite or just leave it be?

I dont wanna dwell on this if I can as I've always wanted a smith.

There is a very small amount of play on the thumb latch but CS says that's perfectly normal. Opinions?

Any help would be appreciated even if it's a new revolver owner being worried over nothing. Thanks

Last edited:
Screws will loosen up. Nature of the beast. More you shoot, the more loosen up. Thumb-latch is one, as is extractor rod. Since the 637 is a fixed sighted revolver, you do not have to worry about sight screws loosening up, but on adjustable sighted guns you do. As has been said, Loctite is an option, but make sure you use the right one. I tend to stick with Purple, also known as Loctite® 222™. It is the lowest strength and also works with aluminum and brass screws/screwholes. It seems to hold up just as well on even the biggest of my revolvers as the blue.

As for the play on the latch, yes it is normal.

Nice revolver, that 637 and welcome to the forum!

My j frame thumb latches wiggle too. The important thing is to have look at how much clearance there is underneath the thumb latch as it moves - in my experience there is so much it will never scrape the frame. Blue loctite on any screw.

When you do take it to the range, don't get discouraged if it takes some time to get used to the long trigger pull. The revolvers really force people to remember their fundamentals about maintaining a steady grip and a surprise trigger break. After you get used to the trigger, sights, and small grip, you will find that these little pocket revolvers can be *very* accurate.

have fun

I wouldn't loctite it at all right now. Shoot it, check it. If it stays snug you have no worries.

The play is normal, every Airweight seems to have a bit of it.

Back