Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new slug gun. Ideally I would like:

1) Gas Operated
2) 24" smooth bore barrel
3) Dovetails on receiver for optics mounting
4) Not too wider bore for shooting Brenneke type slugs

So, what's good folks?

Scrummy

I'd go with a Weatherby Element in 20g, Inertia system. Well done copy of the M2. Tapped holes for mounts on receiver. Very accurate slug shooter, although mine is a 26" barrel.

Their Turkey is 22". Their Synthetic is 26".

I have a 20 gauge Browning Silver deer hunter which is an excellent semi-auto though perhaps a tad on the heavy side. It's rifled though (which I prefer over the smooth bore brenneke). Barrel changeouts should be easy (though not cheap). It shoots rem 260 gr accutips @ 1900 fps.

Last edited:
The only one I can think of with factory dovetails is Beretta (one of the A400 variants). Pretty sure that would hit all of your requirements. I'm not terribly current on who is making what as far as semi autos go these days, maybe look for a lightly used 11-87 or 1100? I don't think any of them have a factory dovetail or are drilled or tapped, probably need a cantilever barrel.

I've already got an 870 with a slug barrel (Hastings, but I don't think they are in business any more). If I was doing another slug gun I'd be thinking really hard about one of the bolt action Savage's in 20 gauge.

I heard that slug guns were way down in sales ever since the 350 Legend was launched.
According to Winchester? Slug guns will still be around long after the legend fades away--at which point it finally will be a legend.:)

I had to hunt Ohio with slugs all my life until about 5yrs ago when we got limited rifle. The 350 Legend is just a bone for AR crowd. All serious hunters and new ones will be buying a rifle of some kind.
I shot 12g Brenneke for 40yrs. I cut down everything you could think of into slug gun. I had 4 factory slug guns. Ithaca 37, Rem 870 and two Rem 1100s, one 12 & a 20g. Had custom scope mount on 870 from new in 1966. My favorites were a Win 97 and Brn A5 both cut down 30” FC fitted with sights.
The best out of box slug gun was the Ithaca Deer Slayer. 870 was top seller but 1100s were usually a tad better than 870 for group. Both 12 & 20 1100s did 3” at 100yds/ Brenneke.
If I was going to buy a new slug gun, semi-auto & smooth bore it would be 1100 and I would have a steel I piece base silver soldered on action. The 870 and 1100 don’t have the meat to hold scope base screws.

dovetails?????

Never heard of dovetails on something as heavy recoiling as a slug gun, but apparently it's done. Are the Berretta dovetails beefier than those found on .22's?

My experience with drilled and tapped receivers, conventional bases and rings has been positive with 3 inch mag loads on turkey guns.

There are a few out there with dovetails or slots.

Franchi seems to include them, as does Browning. I understand though that the Maxus tends not to shoot Brenneke slugs well as the bore is a bit wide.

Scrummy

I had to hunt Ohio with slugs all my life until about 5yrs ago when we got limited rifle. The 350 Legend is just a bone for AR crowd. All serious hunters and new ones will be buying a rifle of some kind.
I've long thought that slug shotguns should be broken off from general rifle/firearm into their own separate season or combined with muzzleloader season (meaning short "primitive").

Those who don’t have experience with slugs often under rate them. Several states had no rifle season, Ohio was slug only for years. Then Bow season, Muzzle loaders, handguns and now limited rifle. Minimum .38 cal , straight case only.
If I only hunted Ohio and had a good slug gun I wouldn’t run out to buy a rifle.
Yes, in some states a HV rifle with scope is useful where you can see long distances in open country. Ohio has some of that but in SE Ohio anything over 100yds is long shot. So slug is not really a disadvantage.
When Ohio first had a deer season in 1950s up through when deer herd got big enough to be a major sport, most hunters just used what ever they had. But if you ever hunted with a rifle a slug gun just don’t get it. They don’t make slug guns that handle like classic deer rifles.
Having said that the average smooth bore gun will do 6” at 100yds. A good one will do 3”. The interest in slugs has increased not by hunters, it’s the black gun and shooting games. They act like they have discovered something new.

My experience is "new generation" 20 gauges like my browning using new shells are very accurate and the ballistics effective to much more than 100 yds. Same is true for muzzleloaders, my CVA paramount easily stays competitive with any of my bolt actions for practical hunting--beyond even 200 yds.

Back