New sights imminent: what best for IDPA type shooting?

DarkRayz

Hi,

What is the (or a) commonly preferred pistol sight for IDPA enthusiasts?

The night sights on my pistol are designed to cover the target with the front dot. I don't like this sight bc I must cover the target and years of habit lead me to shoot low when using the iron sight blade and notch. In low light I'd be using a laser on my SD pistol anyway.

I looked at this Sure Sight but note they are backordered. Anyone use these? R they still in business?
Also the XS seems popular but also implies you cover target with the big dot.

I know IDPA is intended for use of stock gear, but are there popular sight choices given this?

Thx

Most of the practical shooters that I know, both USPSA and IDPA, use a plain black rear and a narrow (.09" or .10") fiber-optic front. I like that combo for low-light, too.

Most of the practical shooters that I know, both USPSA and IDPA, use a plain black rear and a narrow (.09" or .10") fiber-optic front.

+1

I like the .090 width front posts as it allows me to be more precise on plates and percentage shots at greater distances.

Dawson precision is where I got mine.

Haven't used the sure sights meself.

The XS sights are great up close, but lack precision when you start getting back to the 15+ meter range for smaller targets.

Are they IDPA legal?

I don't think the Suresights are IDPA legal by my reading of the rules.

Sights: Only conventional notch and post type sights are permitted
for IDPA competition. Sights may include tritium inserts, fiber
optic inserts, white dots, etc.

The rule book then has a couple of diagrams that show conventional notch and post typs sites. I don't thing the Suresights qualify.

I could be wrong, any IDPA officers out there that can set us straight?

Last edited:
+1 for the dawson precion adjustable sights. I have mine on an XD tactical with the .100 front red fiber optic. I use it for IDPA/IPSC and love it!!

-George

I use the sevigny comp sights with a fiber optic front. Im pretty sure the rear is a warren.

The plain black rear is nice because it allows one to pick up the front sight quicker than trying to align 3 dots

Suresights are legal as they are just another style of post and notch sights.

I would stick to conventional type sights with a black rear and F/O front. They are easy to use and the F/O helps keep your eye focused where it needs to be, on the front sight.

Since you are changing sights get the height you want or an adjustable rear since you want to change the POI. Dawson Precision is a great place to go to get them.

Most of the practical shooters that I know, both USPSA and IDPA, use a plain black rear and a narrow (.09" or .10") fiber-optic front. I like that combo for low-light, too.

I recently put a Dawson Precision F/O front and black adjustable rear on my Loaded Springer. This is one of my IDPA/ESP guns, and so far I really like this setup.

I use a all-black rear sight (Bo-Mar adjustable) with a fiber optic front sight. The FO front shows up like a laser dot and allows for wicked fast sight acquisition. You do lose some precision since you need to put the sight on top of your intended POI, but a) you make up for it with the speed on closer targets and b) most Action Pistol target engagements are inside of 20 yards.

Back