New Shotgun - Want to Modify

damionkeller

My dad just gave me his 20-gauge Mossberg CG. It's almost 30 years old but still in excellent condition. Only problem is the 28.5" barrel. I'd like to get the short barrel for HD. Anyone know where I can find one?

It appears that the CG is just a fancy grade 500. Try fleabay,
lots of them on there. Or do a google for mossberg 500 20 ga
barrel---plenty of places selling them.

The existing barrel can easily be shortened with a carpenter's square, a hacksaw & a file.

(The legal Federal minimum length is 18", measured via dropping a rod downbore against the face of the closed bolt)

If the long barrel has a vent rib, cut it just forward of the nearest rib support that's locacted 18" or more from the bolt face.

DON'T do a mathmatical deduction, subtracting from the existing barrel length, or you could get into an irreversable error.

If you cut the barrel, do not cut it to 18", because if you take a hair too much off its illegal. Leave it a tad long like18-1/4" to 18-1/2" being sure to measure with a dowel like PetahW says.

I'd like to keep the existing barrel in shape for hunting purposes. I found another forum that says Mossberg actually has an 18.5" barrel for this model. Now it's just a matter of tracking it down.

Back