New shotgun shells?

xandi

Why aren't there any new shotgun cartridges develop?
Like one without a rim
They all seem to be old
Thx for feeding my coursity

Young man so glad you asked, I have just the thing to fill that urge and exuberance that you are exhibiting.

http://www.ammo-sale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BH_ITS 143101

BH_ITS%20143101.jpg

I will note that while the price is more than you would pay for standard buck shot it is not "that" much more.

box-fed shotguns

How about the Saiga shotgun and the VEPR-12 semi-automatic magazine fed shotgun from Molot?

Will this new ammo work in these platforms?

All 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 16 gauge, so forth were designed with blackpowder non I can think of are designed withsmokeless
Why hasn't someone taken 7/8 oz of shot and blue dot and put thme in a smaller higher proformance package

Last edited:
As for the drive, why didn't everyone stick if the 38 s&w special? Better propellents? better steel? better designs? Same old shell from 19 centery
It doesn't make sence to me

Same old shell from 19 centery

Today's shotshells are significantly improved over the 19th century. Much better powders, more consistent shot, and much better wads. There has been improvement through technology.

I disagree, it is not the same old shell from the 19th Century. It has been well within my lifetime when they changed the shell casing from cardboard to plastic. I actually still have a lot of old paper shells, I have reloaded a number of times. There have been a lot of changes is wadding and shot surrounding protection. Then by law and for conservation purposes, we have had to pretty much transition from lead shot for water foul hunting.

I don't want to see them get rid of the rim since I like to reload and don't want to buy new presses or gadgets to have to use with rimless cases. :)

Why hasn't someone taken 7/8 oz of shot and blue dot and put thme in a smaller higher proformance package

What do you mean by "high performance"??

Higher velocity is bad for patterns. There are practical limits. Magnum and the long (3"+) shot shells don't throw shot FASTER, they throw MORE shot at the same speeds.

Smaller package??
Again, there are practical limits.

There is an old argument between the 12 and 20ga 3" folks. They both throw the same weight of shot, but the smaller 20 bore has a longer shot string, which results in less shot "in the plane of the target" at the instant of impact. 12ga shooters claim this is an advantage, 20ga shooters say it isn't.

What's the point of a rimless shotgun round, anyway?? And please, don't say so you can use stick magazines. Because the idea that rimmed rounds won't work in a box magazine is BS.

There is a big difference between "won't work" and "won't work great".

Agreed. There is also a difference between "works great" and "works" (well enough).

Many designs over the years have proven that rimmed rounds can work well enough. They DO need a little more careful design work on actions and magazines, and you have to pay a little more attention to what you are doing when loading magazines, over rimless rounds, but other than that, they work fine.

.22LR should illustrate this point well enough, but if not, there is also the MILLIONS of .303 British and 7.62x54R rifles that use box magazines and rimmed rounds.

Also the "semi-rimmed" rounds like .25ACP, .32ACP, & .38ACP/.38 Super do have a small rim.

The .357 & .44Magnum rounds have also proven to work in box/stick magazines, in semi auto pistols.

The case rim, by itself, is not a serious drawback. There are still times in this world when the old simple systems are still effective and efficient.

Back