New shooters first range day!

rocky.223

Finally! After much convincing, a friend finally agreed to join me at the range!:D He and his wife,whom I have known for years, have always wondered why i carry and shoot guns at all. They aren't anti-gun per say but very hesitant and uneducated about them. Long stary short we had a great day! He had so much fun, asked tons of questions, and said he couldn't wait to go again! I think 500 rnds is a small price to pay to educate another person on firearms in general. Just need to get his wife to come with next time. We took all my guns, not many but it's all I have for now! ruger mini-14 target model, marlin 336 in 30-30, FNP 9mm, and Walther PPS 9mm. I was thinking a .22 rifle and pistol would be a really good teaching tool as well. So her's my question... What do you like to take with you to the range to teach a newbie?

In general,,, too many guns,,,,,

A pair of cowboy revolvers:
  • Colt Frontier Scout in .22 LR,,,
  • SAA clone in .357 Magnum.

A few SA/DA revolvers:
  • S&W Model 63 in .22 LR,,,
  • S&W Model 18 in .22 LR,,,
  • S&W Model 15 in .38 Special.

Two Pairs of SA/DA semi-auto pistols:
  • Bersa Thunder 22 in .22 LR,,,
  • Bersa Thunder 380 in .380 ACP.
  • CZ-75B in 9mm,,,
  • CZ-75B Kadet in .22 LR

A pair of target plinkers:
  • Two Ruger 22/45 pistols.

One thunderous-louden-boomer:
  • S&W Model 629 in .44 Magnum.

We don't always shoot all of the guns I take,,,
But Like Jayne Cobb said, "I sometimes get excitable as to choice."

Aarond

Rocky,

Good on you! One of the best ways to change a point of view is a range day and some understanding.

Ya done good !

Geetarman:D

Oops,,, I forgot to say something,,,,,

Good for you,,,
Bringing new people in.

I do that a lot with college kids,,,
Very satisfying and a whole lotta fun. :D

Aarond

Thanks gentlemen, i appreciate that! I only started shooting a couple of years ago and have met so many awesome people I get excited about sharing it. I hope to have a collection at some point that makes it difficult to decide what to take, thankfully my wife is 100% supportive and allows me to play as i like with no nagging!

Very nice of you to mentor/guide.

For new shooters, I bring along a Rem 597, S&W M&P 15-22, Marlin Model 25, Beretta 92 FS, Sig SP2022, Rem 700 Varmint .223 and M&P 15 Sport.

All are soft shooting and user friendly IMO.

That is exactly what we need to do with legislators and the media. It would be best for that to happen tyhru a gun club.

So you say--they wont come--OK make em say NO..

Invite Carl and Debbie and the US reps along w/ state sans and reps.

For the media one person has to be the 'spokesman' and do the talking w/ media. Otherwise it seems words get twisted and turned.

Starting new folks with airguns in a controlled environment, like someone's garage, works well.
There's less apprehension and fear of mistakes all around.
When everyone is comfortable and confident, then move on to the range with firearms.
But only after getting used to them with dry fire, loading and unloading dummy rounds, clearing jams, 'etc.

That is spot on advice indeed, sir!
I’ve seen more people (than I care to) turned off shooting sports by inconsiderate yahoos who think it’s kewl too over-gun a newbee just for their own warped sense of humor.

Usually, for 1st time shooters, I just bring a bunch of stuff and let them shoot any of the ones they want. My focus is on letting them have a good time. I usually start off with the easiest ones to shoot, and work up from there. If they are interested and want to learn more, then I'll bring them back and start teaching more seriously on one or two guns.

I usually bring these:
.22 pistol
9mm handgun
.45ACP handgun

.22 rifle (irons)
.22 rifle (scoped)
AR-15 (BUIS, aimpoint, and removable 3X)

Back