New Shooter, never shot a pistol, looking for good training class

erichardy

I am a new pistol shooter, 50 yo, have shot rifles and shotguns, but never a pistol. I am looking for an affordable pistol training class to get a good safe start to shooting. I live in Greenwood, Indiana so it would be nice if it were somewhere close and available on the weekend (Saturday). Thanks for your help!!

Don't know about your area, but where I live most gun stores or outdoor sporting goods stores have weekend classes of one form or another. Also, call around to indoor and outdoor shooting ranges. The range where I work offers familiarization courses every other Friday, but I'm nowhere near Indiana. Certainly though, the Sycamore Valley Gun Club near Bloomington would have something available for you. They have a great facility too.

www.svgc.org/index.shtml

Good luck!

My wife an I took the NRA Basic Pistol Class. I thought it was a good class, although it is the only one I have taken outside of military training. I had been through pistol training several times in the military but it was more of a familarization class than a formal class. My wife had never touched a gun. It was a good refresher for me and I learned some things I didn't know. My wife went from being very uncomfortable around guns to comfortable and even fairly confident after one day at the range. It will be a little basic for somebody with experience with other gun types but I think you will learn a lot. You should be able to look up classes in your zip code on the NRA website.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
The above link is to a web page where you can search for a NRA course near you.
The course fee can vary as each instructor sets the fee for the course they teach. I looked in the Indianapolis area and saw fees from $130 to $200 for the Basic Pistol Shooting Course.

A partial description of the Basic Pistol Shooting Course:
This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development.

I strongly recommend an NRA Basic Pistol Class. There are NRA qualified instructors pretty much available all over the US.

All the best,
Glenn B

I don't know about all states, but the NRA's Basic Pistol Course is Ohio's class required for a concealed carry permit. A new shooter would get a lot more out of it than an experienced shooter, but for myself, I found I did learn some from going through it for my CCW.

Back