New Service Rifle Record!

Michael Carlin

SSG Julia Watson of the USMC Weapons Training Battalion shot a new National Service Rifle Record at Camp Perry, OH, a 797-37X. Shot with an M16A2! (I can hear those who said that little rifle will never shoot 600 yards swallowing hard on their crow now!)

Why do I have the feeling it was not strictly stock? (I.E. as issued)
Either way, it was a good show.
Paul B.

TO All:
YES it is modified. When it comes out of the AMU Smith Shop, you can be guarenteed it is modified and tweeked.

Good Job Julia:

DOC:1974-1979

The "Service Rifles" are to stock rifles as stock cars are to standard passenger cars. Dat gal can shoot!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Harley;

>When it comes out of the AMU

Now I may be wrong... it's happened before... but I don't believe the Corps' Competition Firearms come out fo the Army Marksmanship Unit. Something about Weapons Training Battalion, Quantico comes to mind.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

DAVID:
My attention to detail has been caught up with my crainial structure lodged in my syphincter musle. WooooooooooW!

I obviously assumed Army because the Army did it once in the past, with the same rifle, and I guess the USMC learned from that. Didn't read the USMC.

Man I'm in trouble with my son again. He's USMC. I will be hard pressed to live this down.

Thanks for keepin me straight. Must agree though, it was not a straight issue, nor issue ammo.
HJN

There was a good article on Julia in the May issue of American Rifleman along with a description of her M16.
[MCP mode on}
She's pretty and she can shoot, to boot!
[MCP mode off]

I saw the article in the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN...

Sorry folks, she's not shooting a "stock" military rifle. If you'll notice on the cover, her rifle has no bayonet lug (the end of the bbl is not in the picture). Inside the magazine they show the end of the bbl, but I cant remember if it had a flash supressor on it or not. Without a flash supressor, the rifle would be more accurate (thanks crime bill, that's about the only thing it did - cause us more accuracy).

Also, you can see the selector switch in the picture, and again my memory fails me - I don't think it had the 3 round burst position (the M-16A2 has 3-round burst instead of automatic read: M-16 = military rifle only. AR-15 (colt is currently selling MT6700 = same but post-ban) is the civillian version -- semi-automatic only. anti-gunner disclaimer :)

BTW: She can shoot!
Blackie

p.s. I don't have my AMERICAN RIFLEMAN here with me, can any AR-fans verify?

IIRC, there are trigger creep issues with 3 shot burst actions running semi

each burst notch is a slightly different pull,
i heard that some shooters will shoot 1, dry fire 2 and shoot the same notch again...

dZ

Correction, SSG Watson told me this past weekend I had the score wrong it was actually 797-31X!

BTW She dropped one point on the 19th shot of 200 Off Hand and 2 points at 300 prone rapid, and the rest of it was a clean!

------------------
Non illegimiti carborundum!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited July 15, 1999).]

Michael, it is good to see you again - I didn't think you were visiting TFL lately, or perhaps that's just my memory going.

Please excuse the ignorant question, but I've never shot in competition. Could you or someone else give me a quick idea of how the scoring works, and what her score means, exactly?

Thanks. Regards from AZ.

Jeff,

The National Match course of fire consists of 80 shots, each shot worth from 5 to 10 points. 20 shots are shot slow fire from a standing position at 200 yards. 20 shots are shot rapid fire from a standing-to-sitting position at 200 yards. 20 shots are shot rapid fire from a standing-to-prone position at 300 yards. 20 shots are shot slow fire from a prone position at 600 yards. Inside the 10-ring is an X-ring. In case of a tie score, bigger X count wins. Her score of 797-31x neans that she score 797 out of a possible 800 points. For that score, she either shot seventy-seven 10's and three 9's OR seventy-eight 10's and one 9 and one 8. Thirty-one of her 10's were actually in the X ring (38.75% of the 80 shots). Good job, SSG Watson !!

Doug, thanks - that helps a great deal. I'll have to get out to Ben Avery for a match. I've joined the AZ State Rifle & Pistol Association, so I hope I'll get to do that soon.

Jeff Thomas, Hi, I have been very busy trying to learn to shoot Service Rifle.

Doux in Pheonix, very good explanation. One detail that needs clarification. The National Match Course is a 50 shot 500 point course of fire. This is the course fired in Excellence in Competition Matches otherwise known as "LEG" matches. The off hand, sitting and prone rapids are 10 shots each (30 total) and the 600 yard prone slow fire is 20 shots (for fifty shots to complete the match). In the actual conduct of a LEG match there are NO sighters. This course is often shot without sighter by each of four men to make a a team.

The course you describe is the NRA 800 point 80 shot aggregate, otherwise known as "across the course". Usually this course affords the shooter 2 sighters for each stage. Total ammunition required is therefore 88 rounds.

For those of you who have never seen these courses of fire the ten ring at 200 and 300 is 7 inches around a 3 inch X ring. The nine ring is black at 200 for a 13" aiming point.
At 300 the 8 ring is also "in the black" for a 19 inch "bullseye".

Master and High Master class shooters will often shoot 100-8X or 9X fairly regularly at 300 yards. 100-10X cleans are becoming more common place as more shooters switch to the black rifle.

Think about that, a shooter starts standing up, and in 60 seconds goes prone, shoots 2 shots, reloads and shoots 8 more for ten rounds in sixty seconds with iron sights and hits a 3" disk 8-10 times in a row!

What is really neat about this is that anyone can learn to do it!

At 600 yards the 36" bullseye inludes the 7,8,9, 10 and of course the X rings. The 10 ring is a 12" ring around a 6" X ring. The 9 ring is 18" in diameter, the 8 ring 24 inches in diameter and the 7 ring brings the total diameter to 36".

On the way to her record SSgt Watson hit the 12" 10 ring 20 times in a row! With iron sights! With a .223 rifle!! (You all could too if you trained like she does, and kept yourself together as well as she has mastered herself!)

With the service rifle, only issue type iron sights are used. These rifles and sights may be improved but must be externally the same as the issue item. A hooded rear sight is allowed for the M16 as there is one allowed for the M14/M1A and the M1.

Hope you come out and play!

------------------
Non Illegimiti carborundum!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited July 15, 1999).]

Back