New Scope

Hey everyone. I'm new here to the forum. For my past birthday I recieved my first rifle from my uncle. It is a used Marlin M89 Golden, I'm thinking about putting a small scope on it for some small game hunting or just to fool around with at the range. I have no idea how to attach it, or what kind of scope to look for. Any advice would be great.

Most receivers are already drilled and tap for scope mounts. Look at the top of the receiver and you should see four screws.

You buy a base (your choice) and rings for the scope. Now, generally you want the scope as low as possible. Why? Because the higher the scope, the less positive the cheek weld. It'll be a chin weld if the scope rides up too high (that's why some guns like the No 4 (T) or HK PSG-1 has a cheekpiece on it). The determining factor of the height of the rings is comfort (yours) and the objective of the scope (the big swelled out part where the lens is). The scope ring must be high enough such that the scope is touching the rifle.

Now, as to the scope, that's entirely dependent on your intent, budget and taste. I'd be happy with a 4 x fixed scope myself - but that's me. My favorite brand is Leupold (and most common) but you may want something different (I also have some Tascos, a Bausch & Lomb & other scopes).

yeah....I checked the top of the reciever. There are two holes exactly 2" apart. Since this is my first rifle I was looking to spend around $50 for a low magnification variable scope.....like from 3-9x or something like that. But thank you for the advice

Quality. Remember, the more moving parts, the more that can go wrong. That's why I prefer fixed power. However, if it's cheap enough, go for it. I'm a cheap kinda guy.

Mind you, given the choice of an older Weaver K-4 (4 power) over a generic 3 x 9 for the same price, I'd go with the Weaver. That's my personal taste. I've gone high end Leupold MK IV No. 1 as well as some cheapo Tascos.

Back