New scope black spec inside

1stmar

I seem to recall a similar post but I couldn't find it. I bought a new scope and at the lowest power there is a black speck at 9 o'clock. As the power increases the speck moves to the left and eventually not visible. Besides indicating something wrong with the scope, what does this tell as to where the issue is or how severe it is.

When I had that happen to mine,It turned out to be a chuck of paint from inside the scope that broke off. Did not affect scope at all.

Thx some of the reading I was able to find supports that, could be dust or some other dirt. Some suggested banging the scope on a phone book to knock it loose. I don't think ill do that. But I will call the manufacturer.

If it is paint as mine was,from time to time it will move around from recoil. Sometimes it will disappear for months at a time before that one shot will toss it back up again. It has never landed on my crosshairs, usually off to the side some place where it does not bother me at all.

It's a leatherwood 2x7 ler. Pretty inexpensive. I'll see what they say today. If I have to pay for shipping I'll probably leave it if it doesn't effect anything. I only got it to validate my loads, actually prefer the irons but I get these flyers. Trying to figure out if it's me or the rifle.

High probability that the case Bart. I get some very good groups (1.5" 5 shot) but about 2 rounds out of 25 aren't even on the paper. Thinking it's my sight picture or a flinch. I use an unconventional sight picture. It's hard for my aging eyes to distinguish a good 6:00 hold so I put a bit of daylight between the top of the sight and the bull.

can't argue with ya Bart. I wa always under impression it was a load issue. Neck tentsion off, burr in case,case weight off on one,ect ect. I will take your word for it

Back