New Savage Rifle

Joel Harmon

First thing: I would like to know why Remington rifles cost so much more than Savage Arms rifles. I went to the first gun show of the season in my immediate area the other day and compared the two. They both seem to be well built. They both offer features such as heavy and fluted barrels, among other things.

I am attracted to a particular stainless Savage .223 (don't recall the model number, but could id the rifle in a line up). It is a fluted bolt action with five round magazine capacity and a 26" barrel. A vendor at the show told me that the difference is the way Savage attaches the barrel to the rest of the gun. I asked about accuracy and he told me that it was extremely accurate.

Second thing: Because this guy was a salesman I will rely on some of you guys sending me down the right path. Anyone out there who owns or who has fired a Savage .223 (around the $500 range) please tell me what you think of the accuracy of this rifle (MOA). I will be using hand loaded ammo. I don't care about any fancy exterior items on this rifle. All I care about is accuracy. However, I do not want to break the bank (my limit is $550).

Third thing: Do any of you think a fluted barrel really aids in accuracy (barrel cooling)?

------------------
Joel Harmon

Joel:

#1 - I agree with the dealer, but would offer that their method of headspacing is only one of the few things that contribute to a lower price. Their dull finish is another reason, as well as use of plastic parts like the trigger guard. The bolt handle is cast & the trigger is made from sintered metal [DO NOT attempt to stone/grind this metal!].

Their simple stocks also result in a lower price. Plus I feel that Savage has improved their production efficiencies that's specifically geared towards making economically priced firearms, whereas Remington & others have some really nice almost custom guns. But they're made within the same shop operations, so there is a higher cost built-in towards the Production overhead that must be split on all rifles made.

#2 - Honestly, I've yet to see an Savage made within the last few years that won't shoot 1 MOA or better off the shelf. Check out this link: http://guntalk.shooters.com/guntalk/Rifles/14211.html#14211.

I bought their 6.25 pound light-weight sporter in 7mm-08 and shot a 0.25" 3-shot group and a rapid fire 5-shot string that measured 3/4" the other week, using Hornady Light Magnum ammo. It has also printed average of 5/8" 5-shots groups w/ Rem 120gr and 3/4" 5-shot groups with the Rem Core-Lokt 140gr. Not too bad for a factory arm - $320 to boot.

#3 - Can't really comment, but other boards have had some great threads on this topic. If I remeber correctly, the concensus is that they do aid cooling, but a direct contribution to accuracy is ??

Here's a great link to adjust a factory Savage Trigger: http://www.recguns.com/IIID2a190.html

If I were you, I'd opt for the single-shot version of the same rifle you're looking at, it's a stiffer action, if punching paper only. Consider getting it cryo'd before you take possession [adds $30]. Take the time to properly break in the barrel [at least 1 shot & clean - repeat twice; 2 shots & clean - repeat 2X; 3 shots & clean - repeat 2X, up to 5 shots, and so on for the 1st 20 - 40 rounds.

I'd also consider the Sharp Shooter Trigger - here's another link: http://www.varminthunters.com/sshooter. You can get one for $68 from Infinity Firearms @ (918) 333-3069.

Tight groups!

[This message has been edited by Lefty (edited April 26, 2000).]

Thanks Lefty.

You have really helped. I have checked out all the links and there is not a question in my mind as to the Savage being of good quality (notes of owners).

------------------
Joel Harmon

Back