New Savage Mark II - Ammo Question

So I'm awaiting pickup of my new Savage Mark II G, chambered in .22LR and I bought 3 different types of ammo, all CCI. The Mini-Mag, Velocitor and Quiet-22 for various shooting scenarios. I planned on zeroing the rifles iron sights at 75 yards using the mini-mag, and I'm wondering how that will work out if I decide to load one of the other rounds.

I used CCI's comparison chart but am new to ballistics and would appreciate any advice. Here's the numbers for each, all 40gr bullets. All numbers given for 75 yard zero EXCEPT the Quiet-22 which is listed as 50 Yard zero. Confuses the numbers a little

Velocity @ muzzle, 25, 50, 75, 100
Mini mag 1235, 1156, 1092, 1040, 998
Velocitor 1435, 1326, 1230, 1149, 1084
Quiet-22 710, 692, 674, 656, 640

Trajectory@ 25, 50, 75, 100 (75 yard zero for mini and veloc.; 50 for Quiet)
Mini Mag 0.7, 1.3, 0.0, -3.3
Velocitor 0.3, 0.9, 0.0, -2.5
Quiet-22 1.5, 0.0, -6.4, -17.8

Would it be possible to zero at 75 yards with the mini-mag and then basically hold low for the velocitor out to 75 and hold same out to 50 for the quiet? Or should I plan on re-zeroing between target shooting and hunting? I know this will take some experimentation on my part, and I'll likely just try it and see how it works out on paper. Thanks for any opinions though.

I've shot .22lr competition for many years. I can tell you for a fact that I've never owned even one rifle or one handgun that shot any two types/brands of ammo to the same POI. The best is that they were close. Most of the time the difference could be measured at an inch or more. You're not going to get these to shoot to the same POI. You'll have to shoot each one at paper and find out the differences and then adjust the sights accordingly. You can count the clicks needed to adjust and move the sight as you change ammo. It should be close with adjustable sights. If using a scope, it should be repeatable with a scope that tracks well.

Thanks for the quick response and insight. So basically, I'm comparing POI and then looking for adjustments to make at the rear sight when switching between ammo types? I will be using the iron sights equipped with the rifle, at least for now.

That's correct. Your problem will be if you have sights that need to be drifted. Unfortunately, the POI isn't just different up and down. It often is different right and left...or both. Again, not a lot usually, but some. Good luck.

You need to try a box of as many brands of ammo a you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best, first. Like NoSecondBest says, no two rifles, even identical rifles with consecutive serial numbers, will shoot the same ammo the same way. The price of said ammo means nothing either.
Then when you have the ammo your rifle shoots best, you can learn where each type shoots and hold over or under. However, it'll be easiest to just shoot each type at 75 so you know exactly where each shoots out of your rifle at 75. Hoping there's no wind.
"...will be using the iron sights equipped with the rifle..." Scope it. Or put on some good iron sights.

Back