new savage accuracy is Amazing!

elkhunter59

Inactive
I bought my daugher a savage 11 hunter xp LH compact 7mm-08. The Accuracy is Short of Amazing!!!! I removed the nikon prostaff and replaced it with a leupold vx 3 with Burris Z Rings and steel bases. I was shooting 3 shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with nosler 140 grain accubonds while sighting it in. I own a number of Browning Rifles. The only reason I didn't buy my daughter a browning is because browning does not make a left hand compact rifle with a synthetic stock. I have been looking at the new xbolt for myself but I can not ignore the accuracy of the savage after today. The browning does look better. I think the accutrigger is a "little" better then the browning feather trigger. Just my opinion. I wanted to share my experience today. I bought the savage becuase of some of the reviews I have read on this sight. Have a great day.

Last edited:
How the gun world has changed. 40 years ago you would have paid good money to get a gun that shot MOA. Today $300 will get you there. I have to tip my hat to modern manufacturing.

I agree on the Savage rifle accuracy.
I have a model 10/110 heavy barrel 223 that shoots 5 shot 5/16 inch groups and does it with such consistency that it's scary.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Yeah, I have a Savage 10 in 260 rem. Tack driver. The let down will set in when you realize that you can no longer blame your misses on your equipment.....
:)
Happy shooting with your daughter (that rocks).

@rickmelear, could not agree more. When I was young a sporter rifle that shot sub MOA was a treasure never to be sold, now it seems they are everywhere. The last 2 sporters I have purchased have both shot sub MOA and neither was over the $700 mark out the door.

I have the savage 16 bolt action that I originally set up for my long range rifle. And like you said it is right on right out of the box. I also fell in love with the browning until I found in my research that there barrels are made in Japan with Japan's steel. So with that I went with the savage and never looked back at browning. Very happy with my savage.

Most rifles made in the last 40 years will shoot sub-MOA with the right loads and maybe a little bedding work.

It's what we shoot at our BSA Range, Savage MarkI that can take a fly's wings off at 50'!
Aperture adjustable sights, of course, and with a bit of NRA rifle training, for sure!

Savage rifles seem to the most accurate out of the box that you can buy. It's rare to hear about a Savage rifle thats not accurate.

Back