New S&W Sigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Baugh

I have a friend that is a training coordinator for a local PD , they are looking at the new and improved Sigma . Does anyone have any real world experience with this weapon ? He seems impressed with the changes they have made from the old model and has had good luck with the S&W 5906's they carry , but they are wanting to go to a .40 and S&W will trade them the new Sigma's for 200 or so battle scarred 5906's + about $25 per gun [buy a Glock] , since the officers have to buy their own weapon this is a big selling point . They are going to give him a couple to test [abuse] to help make up his mind . I thought some of you might have had some experience with this weapon .Thanks , Mike...

I just bought one, the enhanced s&w 40cal.40ve. Great looking gun top stainless,bottom polymer. I only shoot 50 rounds, so far no hangops.Soft shooting to, pretty accurate, to but needs more rounds true it. For better evaluation.

I purchased a Sigma model sw40ve about two weeks ago for $289. The trigger is interesting. After 100 rounds of Win. 180 FMJ, I still can't figure out exactly when it is going to fire. The bigger problem is that it jams on at least one round per mag load. I polished the ramp and did some work on the magazine. The edge of the casing appears to catch on the edge of the magazine as the round is chambered.
Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not, it's going back to Smith. As purchased, this guns performance is unacceptable.

Tell them to try the Sig 2340, multiple grips
so it fits everyone's hand, accurate and reliable plus your distributor will work
you a better trade in than S&W will, I bet,
I bet. IMHO

From a previous posting:
Real Eye Witness Stuff: I teach at my State's Law Enforcement Training Center, in the firearm program and see Sigma's come through. Watched a shooter struggle with persistent light/non-existent primer hits, his department ships him another Sigma overnight, only to continue the problem. In talking with that officer, he revealed that 1/3 of the department's Sigmas do this. I see this happen with the Sigma, in training, about 10% of the time.
On the training range I watched staff instructors shoot the gun with the same result, infrequent failures to fire.
I see it with other LE Sigmas, but have not done detailed investigations as to Department experience. I got to play with a T&E Enhanced Sigma in .40 caliber, and as a brand new gun, had 10% no/light hits on primers.The new Enhanced Sigma was fired only by experienced shooters. One department advised me that they send their guns back to S&W and are told that all springs are replaced. I am talking to another municipal agency that has a similar problem, but I don't have any numbers or circumstances yet. From an adjoining state comes a report of this problem coming up during a gunfight, where the officer survived, no thanks to his duty Sigma. Still trying to flesh this one out though.

I feel so sorry for an officer that 'has' to carry a Sigma (new, old, more advanced, whatever). Sounds like a funeral waiting to happen :(

------------------
Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol, get yourself a GLOCK !

[This message has been edited by scott90501 (edited August 31, 1999).]

Well boys, I just don't understand. I do not have the enhanced model. I bought the sigma 40V a few years ago. I am sure many of you have heard me comment on it before, but other than aluminum ammo, my guns has functioned flawlessly. Sure, the trigger is a bit heavy, but it gets better with age. As for those that didn't, hopefully they are just lemons. I haven't had any problems with mine and it fits my hand better than a glock. I actually see it as a improvement over the glock's grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back