New Russian PDW - would a semi be importable?

MicroBalrog

pp2000-2.jpg

PP-2000 as displayed at Interpolytech-2004 exhibition in Moscow; note spare magazine inserted at the rear of the gun to serve as a shoulder support.
photo by Gleb Androsov

Caliber: 9x19mm Luger/Para
Weight: ~ 1.5 kg
Length (stock closed/open): 300 / 507 mm
Barrel length: 182 mm
Rate of fire: ~ 600 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 20 or 40 rounds
Effective range: 50-100 meters

The PP-2000 is the latest development of the famous Instrument Design Bureau (KBP) from Tula, Russia. It has been first displayed on public in 2004, although the patent for its layout has been filed in 2001 and issued in 2003. So far it is not issued to any troops but offered for all interested domestic and foreign Law Enforcement and Military users.
The main "niche" for PP-2000 is a personal defense weapon for non-infantry military personnel, or as close quarter combat weapon for special forces and special law enforcement teams. As such, it is a compact weapon with as few parts as possible for enhanced reliability, simplified maintenance and low cost. Also, it is designed to fire any standard 9x19mm "ball" (FMJ) ammunition, as well as +P+ class 7N31 armour piercing ammunition of Russian origin. When loaded with 7N31 ammo, PP-2000 offers enhanced penetration against body armor, while maintaining stopping power against "soft targets", which is believed to be superior to foreign small-caliber rivals, like 5.7mm FN P90 or 4.6mm H&K MP-7.

The PP-2000 is a conventional blowback operated submachine gun, and it is believed to be fired from closed bolt for enhanced accuracy. The bolt is telescoped around the rear part of the barrel; front part of the bolt is exposed above the barrel and is used to cock (charge) weapon by pressing back its checkered front face. The receiver / housing is made from polymer as a single unit with pistol grip and trigger guard. Trigger guard is enlarged and its front part is shaped to provide front hand grip. the magazine housing is located inside the pistol grip; Housing for spare magazine is located at the rear end of the receiver, and, when inserted, spare magazine is used as a crude shoulder support (buttstock). Safety / fire mode selector is conveniently located at the left side of the receiver, above the pistol grip.

--

But it's not a forward pistol grip, officer! It's just a really oversized trigger guard! :)

It ain't the ossifer you need to convince, it's F-troop to approve the Form 6.

Both the gun and the pointy 9mm ap ammo are truly funkified. :) Spare mag is the shoulder stock - ingenious (but not a lot of surface support area). Kinda cool...

But why isn't the rear sight futher back - that's a crappy sight radius.

MicroBalrog,

*points Tamara to the smiley*

I saw the smiley.

F-troop has ruled that "thumbhole stocks" are the same as pistol grips WRT importation. Care to cover any bets on their opinion of "thumbhole forward grips"?

Incidentally, while PDW's are Swell Ideas for cooks and cannon-cockers and truck drivers, they're kinda unsuited for civilian usage, being equally inferior to a good pistol for CCW and a good shotgun or carbine for house gun work. In a perfect hoplophobia-free gun-totin' world, a P-90, MP5K-PDW, or MP7 would be an interesting fashion statement to drag about on one's daily rounds, but IRL in the present-day USofA it falls short of both needs for a realistic civilian defense firearm.

In a perfect hoplophobia-free gun-totin' world, a P-90, MP5K-PDW, or MP7 would be an interesting fashion statement to drag about on one's daily rounds

Well, Tamara, such a world starts with you.

And I never, ever stated that I intend to carry a 'CCW' when I immigrate. More like an OCW, like they do where I live. :)

We can't get any modern military handguns from russia due to a voluntary trade restriction agreement. Not even makarovs.

Update:

The newest version has a folding stock, improved safety lever, and a picatinny rail that appears to have a rear sight integrated (doubling the sight radius). I don't know what happened to the big, chunky telescoping bolt though. I can't tell how you would even cock this PDW anymore.

Attachments

• pp2000_01.jpg
    pp2000_01.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 156
  • pp2000_02.jpg
    pp2000_02.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
You can see the charging handle right behind the front sight. It folds to either side from what I can see.

Cool concept but also not very useful, it's as small as a rifle and as powerful as a pistol :p

EDIT: MY GOD THIS IS OLD!!! This is a four year old topic..... You could have made a new one :)

Wow!

Ambidextrous charging handle? As a lefty, I have to support that!

And on the handle, a lanyard ring?

I mean, before it looked cyberpunk, now it's just weird!

Back