New Ruger Wrangler Birdshead

Linker

Got it yesterday Saturday January 15. I had a single six bought in about 1973 and sold in probably 1985. So I had forgotten about the difficulty I had on taking the cylinder pin out. I am now reminded. The thing is very small to get hold of but then it does not want to come out. Likewise on reassembly. I was ready to box it up and call Ruger for mailing instructions. All of a sudden it came apart and went back together. I did nothing different it just decided to work. I don't remember the single six being so difficult but I do remember it wasn't easy. The wrangler however is smaller thus not as much to hold on to.

Do you guys have trouble with Ruger revolvers also or is it me?

He's mentioning the movement of the cylinder pin isn't an unknown problem.

That yours is tight is actually a good thing. The opposite has built a lot negative threads on the Wrangler.

most of my firearms come to me used. two new ones were a ruger single six several years ago and wrangler birdshead recently. both cylinder pins were tight to remove and replace. cleaning with polishing compound and light oiling, then shooting about 100 rounds, followed by another cleaning and all became as smooth as warm butter.

Its new, its tight, that's not a bad thing. Drop of oil (or slick it with some graphite) will help.

Also sometimes helps to "wiggle" (rock) the cylinder a little as you pull or push the pin.

The Ruger Wrangler...sigh...the gun cannot be bought in my state (Minnesota) because the powers that be deem it is not sturdy enough. (I had to have this explained to me a couple of times, a Ruger firearm is not sturdy enough.)

But our legislature is in session until the end of May and maybe this will change.

The Ruger Wrangler...sigh...the gun cannot be bought in my state (Minnesota) because the powers that be deem it is not sturdy enough. (I had to have this explained to me a couple of times, a Ruger firearm is not sturdy enough.)

But our legislature is in session until the end of May and maybe this will change.
That's one of the dumbest excuses for banning a gun that I have ever heard ...
It's a 6 shot single action 22 LR ...Ruger wouldn't make a revolver that explodes !

Good luck with the legislature , explain it to them like this ... you were voted in ...and you can be voted OUT !
Gary

It's all about melting point laws, meant to eliminate so called "Saturday Night Specials" made out of cheap pot metal. Only the Wrangler grip frame is zinc, the frame is aluminum.

Are Glocks and such legal then? Isn't the melting point lower than zinc?

Interesting question, as google gives the melting point of zinc as 787 F and the melting point of the Glock frame (polymer) at 420F.

You might need to take a close look at the actual wording of the law, (I don't know what it says) but its not impossible that the Glock frame may not be covered by the melting point law because its not metal.

Back