New Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum Revolver

ATN082268

I recently purchased a new stainless Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum Revolver with a 7.5 inch barrel and am very pleased with it. All my firearms up to this point have been around 9mm/.38 and I never thought I would actually take the plunge and go big bore. After firing it a little, mainly with 240 grain rounds, at 10-12 yards, at basic human silhouette targets, I had a few questions about it.

1. Any advice to improve double action shots? The accuracy of my single action shots at 25 yards are O.K. but the accuracy of my double action shots at that range are poor.

2. Any advice on reloading revolvers with one hand? I've done it with semi-auto before but never with revolvers even with speed loaders. Probably a non-issue but there is always the possibility of one hand/arm being disabled.

3. My strong hand double action shots are pretty good one handed at 10-12 yards but my weak hand double action shots are poor one handed at 10-12 yards. Any advice for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

4. Any suggestions on shoulder holsters to conceal carry this weapon?

I appreciate all advice. Thank you.

I have a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull/.45 colt. Double action trigger pull was pretty heavy when the gun was new. It has improved/gotten smoother with use. I was thinking on a trigger job, but I mainly use it for hunting so I do most shooting single action. I have an old, used chest holster I got at a gunstore years ago. It was built by an outfit out of Alaska the seller told me. I don't recall the name, and there are no markings or stampings on it. I love my SRH shooting warm .45 Colt reloads. You'll like yours too. Happy shooting.

Concealed carry a 7-1/2 inch barreled gun? I don't know if that post is meant to be taken seriously or not.

As to weak hand, strong hand, I would suggest you practice using one of the current two-handed combat stances (Weaver or Turret/Isosceles) and call it good...one handed shooting is more of a trick than practical for combat shooting for the majority of us.

I have one. Not for CC, Its my deer rifle and silhouette scoped centerfire handgun.

NCM_0907-L.jpg

NCM_0908-L.jpg

Enjoy, mine is accurate as can be.

I shot my best ever silhouette score with it.

David

Quote:

Quote:
Concealed carry a 7-1/2 inch barreled gun? I don't know if that post is meant to be taken seriously or not.

The scope will help balance the load. :D

dgludwig said:
The scope will help balance the load.

That's funny :) I just like the gun so much that I was considering it for concealed carry. Assuming that I can dress around the weapon and become proficient with it, I don't see why not.

I don't see why not.
Respectfully, if possible, because this is a silly idea that offers almost NOTHING tangible other than some kind of ego stroke or "how much could I get away with and nobody detect I am carrying it..." (which also seems to offer little more than again, some manner of an ego stroke.)

If some kind of actual argument could be made where this makes real sense, it would be some royally convoluted argument, I would imagine something about having the need to attend some formal dinner while en route to an African Safari... or perhaps a one-in-a-million scenario when every other better suited defense gun that you own is broken and out of service. Something ridiculous.

Woods carry, certainly. Concealed carry for defense? Yeah, sure, we can have a clowning around conversation on TFL, we do it all the time, but I think we should at least preface it with some light-hearted chatter about it being nonsensical.

We could have a full discussion on -why- I suggest that it's ridiculous, and of course you have every right to do whatever you wish to do.

My .44 Mag Redhawk is a blued, non-Super 1985 built model, pre-integrated scope mounts and I had it Mag-Na-Port'd with a four-port job. I use it for slapping steel plates, typically from a rest on the rifle range, usually from 100-200 yards. I also build a target load that runs a smooth and consistent 870fps for use on the pistol range at 12-15 yards. I enjoy the revolver a lot.

I have an original SRH 9.5" version from the late 80's. Very accurate, very stout, and takes a beating. When in the woods I carry it in a Bandolier style holster.

That's funny I just like the gun so much that I was considering it for concealed carry. Assuming that I can dress around the weapon and become proficient with it, I don't see why not.
I don't see how it would go unnoticed on your person, but am willing to concede that you might be able to camouflage it inside an umbrella or something.:rolleyes:

Sevens said:
Respectfully, if possible, because this is a silly idea that offers almost NOTHING tangible other than some kind of ego stroke or "how much could I get away with and nobody detect I am carrying it..." (which also seems to offer little more than again, some manner of an ego stroke.)

I can't speak for anyone else but I can say in my case that my desire is to carry the most gun I can conceal and use effectively. If it turns out that I can't conceal it and/or use it effectively, then I will certainly use one of my other handguns. Initially I stayed away from big bore handguns but now that I have one, I love them :)

If you need to use that in a defensive situation one shot is all you will get off. Next you will be deaf and temporary blind with full house loads. Getting back on target especially with out the scope will take a bit.

I find the double action is smooth as can be with no stack or creep. It does "roll" off the sear. Still easy to shoot.

I let my girlfriend shoot it with specials. She did well both single action and double.

c3a07ee4976a9361e4143177c127d0fd.jpg

65609199f2af4e05b1afbfecc229b45e.jpg

Last edited:
If you need to use that in a defensive situation one shot is all you will get off. Next you will be deaf and temporary blind with full house loads. Getting back on target especially with out the scope will take a bit.

Noise and blast are range issues. Especially in an indoor range. The muzzle flip is mostly shooting technique. I shoot 44 magnums in local IDPA matches all the time, one of my carry guns is a 44 magnum (Smith model 69).

It is indeed going to be loud, muzzle flash has been over stated for decades. When I was a young cop (1982) and qualifying on night fire, I shot my reloads which consisted of a 158 grain LSWC over a healthy charge of 2400. The range officers got a kick out of it because everyone else waited for me to fire so they could use my muzzle flash to light up the sights with their 38's. They said it was like BOOMpoppoppoppoppop....

The first time I shot a .44 magnum was at a friends house- out in the country. He had set some pumpkins up in his back yard, and handed me his Super Blackhawk. In the dark. No hearing protection. The flash and blast wasn't as bad as you'd think.

That said- unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool .44 mag shooter I'd look for something more practical.

Back