New Ruger GP100 Project

Nathan

Got a new to me blue Ruger GP100. Honestly, I thought I would hate this thing, but it is growing on me! Here it is with new Altamont grips....

7A78F93E-893F-4FB0-8566-6B34B69BB889_zpsbwtc7nqb.jpg

The new grips were bought as a rubber grip + separate panels. They came with a locating pin and a cross screw.. Everything fits together perfectly.

These grips are SOOOO much nicer than the rubber monogrips. I can't wait to shoot it again.

Any ideas for a good belt Holster for field carry?

Gould & Goodrich OWB ... very happy with mine. All leather, very tight, and at a decent price ... found it on Amazon

I also dislike the current OEM grips that come on the GP100's...

What you are referring to as 'Altamont Grips' are in fact the original GP100 adjustable sight rubber grip, with Altamont wood panels...

The original fixed sight 'compact' size in that style is my preference (slightly smaller)...

The original panels were made by a company called Lett that has now gone out of business...

Both old style grip sizes are available directly from Ruger, locating pin included:

http://shopruger.com/Double-Action-Revolvers/products/5351/

Altamont is the name of the company. Price is about the same as a Ruger and they come with the locating pin. Altamont has slightly better wood/checkering to my eye and texture on the rubber grips. Panel size is the same.

Nice GP-the 4 inch seems to be a little more universal for all around use and carry.I have the 4 inch half shroud in stainless.I have a Galco Combat master holster that fits the pistol very well.

Replaced the factory installed front sight with a high-viz front sight that I ordered directly from Ruger. Replaced the Houge grips with Altamont grips. The grip panels are made of "bonded ivory" which I ordered as well. Altamont is one of a few companies that makes the original rubber grips that Ruger used to put on the GP100. The older style grips fit my hands better and I just like the look of them. Last time I owned a GP-100 I replaced the Lett grips that came with it. That was many years ago. Funny how you don't appreciate something until it's gone.

I've got kinda big hands and I actually like the way the factory rubber finger groove grips fit my hand.

Jbotto

Jeff #111 how do you like that front sight?

I've always liked the orange and red (S&W) front sight. I'm now 49 years old and my eyes are aging with the rest of me. I like having a front sight that is more visible and that I can see. I know that there are people who don't like the orange/red front sight, but I'm not one of them.

Back