New Ruger Birds head.

ruger357

Just picked up my ss Ruger Vaquero birds head. Grip fits my hand like it was made for it, and balance seems just right. This is my first time shooting .45 colt and I can use some help on which rounds to use .
1. Cowboy rounds?
2. Full loaded rounds for a hiking gun or self protection?

Thanks and happy New Year.

I haven't tried them yet, but Cor-Bon makes self defense loads in 45 Colt, as well as hunting rounds.

Their website is www.cor-bon.com

Neat little revolver you got yourself there; I'm envious (smile). If you should ever be struck by the desire to carry it for self defense, www.epsaddlery.com makes concealed carry rigs for Single Action revolvers (in their "modern" section). This topic has been explored on TFL in the past, just run a search on "SA carry" or "SA defense"

Congrats on the new ruger. They sure look nice.. I bet you have been waxing that baby.. Let us know how it shoots. I would also give Corbon's a try.:D

If you don't already do it, learn to reload and shoot 250 grain hard cast lead bullets with medium heavy loads of 2400 and you will have a power house. Good cheap shooting too and be sure and use gas checks on your bullets to keep down the leading.

7th

if your looking for more than you can handle, try BuffaloBore.com. the 325gr hard cast at over 1300fps will get your attention. I had to quit shooting them out of my 4 5/8" Vaquero, just too painful!

Yes! - During the month of July (2001) I called the factory looking for the Vaquero Birdshead Model shown in their catalog. At the time their catalog has a 5.5" barrel version ... but according to Ruger reps none of these were ever manufactured and/or shipped. They promised the 3.75" barrel version was coming soon. After numerous phone calls to the Ruger factory I found success in September (2001) and had my dealer order one from an AZ distributor. Glad to report it exceeded my expectations! In fact, I bought another one a month later. Both of my Birdshead models are stainless steel and fit & finish is EXCELLENT. Barrel gaps are .003 and .004.

My range report is limited. Shot some Mag Tech LRN 255 gr and found acceptable accuracy. However, this stuff is rather nasty, leaving residue, etc., - being of Mexican manufacture I assume it contains left-over taco sauce and chilli peppers.

The best accuracy was with Remington (R45C1) - 225 gr SWC which produced sub-2" groups at 15 yards. (With my 56 year old eyes and that shiney front sight this is considered acceptable).

So far I haven't fired the second Birdhead, but based on the first one I have high expectations. During the past months I've accumulated various Federal, Hornady, Winchester, and "off-brand" factory ammo. I also have some Speer 260 gr JHP bullets for reloading. Looking forward to some more range time as soon as the weather improves.

.45 Colt = 250gr cast bullet, 35gr FFG. Use Borebutter(tm) for lube.

Do not use any petroleum oils or solvents on gun that will be shooting blackpowder loads. The fouling will be terrible and will cause a jam.

Instead you will want to clean with hot soapy water, wipe dry, then grease the gun with Borebutter(TM).

Back