New Ruger - Birds Head Grip Vaq.

pinetree

I saw an add for a new Ruger. A Vaquero in 45acp with a birds hea grip. Neat looking gun. Personally, I'd like to see it in 32mag, sort of an old west ccw gun...

If you wanted on badly enough (read willing to spend some serious bucks) you could order the .32 Vaquero and fit it with a birdshead grip frame from Qualite. They are the manufacture of the birdshaed grip frame used on the factory examples.

WHOA!

J.B., are you sure that Qualite is the source? Great news if so! I had noted that they looked at lot like the Qualite parts but wasn't certain.

What's your info source?

I'm also wondering how well that grip frame deals with .44Mag/.45LC+P levels of recoil. Anybody have a clue?

Jim,

I shoot 9.5 gr of Unique and 255 gr lead SWC's in mine, very comfortably. The grip frame really does handle recoil well, about as well as anything I've had save a FA 83.

MRH: is that load in .44Mag or .45LC? Not that it would matter much.

Also, are you running a Qualitas frame and grip, or the Ruger factory bird's head?

I ask the latter question because in comparing the pics on the Qualitas page with the Ruger bird's head pics on the Gunblast.com site, it appears that the grip frame is indeed the same, but the grips aren't. Not certain, but it appears that the micarta is sculpted a bit differently. Qualitas says they're getting theirs from Hogue, while Ruger might be doing their own, or might have a different pattern from Hogue or somebody else.

I'd like to see Qualitas offer it in aluminum, as the basis of a lightweight CCW gun intended mostly for .44Spl/.45ACP horsepower levels.

Just got back from my favorite gun shop....

where I saw the new Ruger "birds head" in both stainless and blued. Both are really nice but they are going for $475.00 which seems a lot for a cut down Vaquero. Non-the-less they are really pretty.

Jim, that load is for 45 Colt. I also shoot 9.0 gr Unique and a 265 gr LBT and like it a little better.

But it shoots good with the old standby of 8 gr Unique and 250 rnfp bullets, too.

This is one of the stock Rugers -- not Qualite -- and I believe the shape of the grip panels themselves is a little different, more of a flare to them. But I really like the micarta -- it has a very nice grain. I've had micarta which is plain black, but this is like my FA 83's and is very attractive.

I did the poor boys' trigger job described on gunblast.com.

Next stop is a Belt Mountain Sheriff's Model pin, if for no other reason than they are cool.

This gun shoots GOOD.

Back