New Ruger American rifle

p5200

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle? I was looking at them on line and was curious about their build quality, accuracy etc. :)

they are rugers new economy line of rifles. the ones I've fondled in the stores have felt nice and sturdy but I would be willing to wager that they are not made with the greatest materials around and probably do not have the greatest accuracy but for a $350 hunting rifle I would say that they're hard to beat.

PS they are really lightweight so heavier calibers might kick pretty hard.

I wasn't stating any of that as fact by the way, as stated, I've never fired one, only played with them in stores. the remarks of possibly poor accuracy are based off of what appears to the the general consensus, "you can have cheap or you can have accurate but BOTH is a hard order to fill". most companies though DO send their cream of the crop to reviewers in order to get higher marks. not that I'm knocking on ruger at all. IMHO they are the only fully 100% american gun company left and they do a damn fine job of keeping it that way.

I ran across this article and that's what got my curiosity stirred. http://gunblast.com/Ruger-American.htm Maybe, they sent him one of the rare tack drivers in case they are the hit & miss type like some of their other models?

I don't put much faith in rifle reviews that you find anywhere. Just ask yourself this question. When was the last time you read a bad review on a rifle from a known gun writer? I can't say I've ever seen a bad review in print anywhere from someone who makes a living with paid advertisements to their magazine or web site. Of course why would they want to risk loosing a paid advertiser, so every thing new that comes out is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I really wish there was more independent testing done and a "Consumer Report" style publication put out. It is like Burris scopes make the claim that they transmit 95% or better the available light when compared to other scopes. However no independent lab has ever tested this claim to prove or disprove Burris. I think Burris makes a fine scope but I'm not sure it does what they claim it to do.

Unfortunately the only way to find out if the Ruger American is the rifle for you is to buy it and shoot it. I do think that the Ruger American will be more accurate than 90% of the shooters in the market that Ruger is trying to capture. If Ruger built it like the rest of their rifles it may not produce benchrest accuracy but it will provide a reliable rifle with acceptable hunting accuracy.

Being an accurizer person, I'm impressed with the bedding system of the rifles and if I were purchasing a new rifle, would at least keep them on the list based on that feature. That's not the only thing I look at, but it seems a great improvement in bedding over other lower-priced rifles available.

I have had several email correspondences with Jeff at Gunblast. He seems like a very nice guy that would be fun to shoot with sometime. His reviews are alot like those in the magazines. They will rarely (if ever) outright say anything negative about a product. (It would be bad for business.) You have to "read between the lines" when dealing with gun reviews.

For example, if they say...

"Some tool/machining marks were still present."

It means... "It was still full of metal shavings and the final polish looks to be done with 600 grit sandpaper."

Or if they write... "It's a budget-priced gun that is capable of getting the job done."

The real translation goes... "It's a cheap firearm that hopefully will work."

Lastly, "The test gun was an early prototype but _____ sent a replacement with some design tweaks which solved the problem."

"The piece of junk kept messing up and the manufacturer said try this one instead because surely one of them will eventually work."

Back