New Ruger 3 3/4" Vaquero?

Cosmoline

I just saw an ad for what I've long felt was the ideal easy-carry handgun--a Vaquero with a birdseye grip and a short (but not too short) barrel. I know there are custom outfits that convert Vaqueros to this design. Apparently Ruger is making them now. Anyone try it out yet?

BTW, I know some of the European outfits make clones along these lines, but I like to use hot .45 Colt handloads and would prefer Ruger's thick steel.

Check out my thread on this gun.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=06ce8d49481d45cf6aaaf41720b5eea&threadid=84102

The only thing I absolutely dislike about this gun is the bright stainless steel front sight. Otherwise I am very satisfied.

The 225 SWC Remington factory load continues to perform very well from my Vaquero Birdhead. The 250 SWC Remington is almost as good. It would be interesting to see what the heavier custom loads would do from this gun. Will be reloading for it when I can find the time.

I have 1 of the new Rugers and love it. Feels great even with the tough stuff and seems to be as accurate as my other Vaqueros. As far as the front site being too shiny, I've always added a 45degree cut and filed grooves in mine to break the shine. I use a 40 lpi checkering file. Get 1:)

Thanks! Unfortunately, I now have to figure out where I'm going to get the money for it. My other guns are running away and hiding as I speak.

Handled a blue one at a local gunshop not more than an hour ago. Only thing I didn't like was the fit of the stock pannels to the birdshead grip frame. Ruger did a lousy job on this one. If you were inclined to carry a SA revolver concealed (not something I would recommend for the average shooter) this would be the way to go.

Last edited:
I handled one of these critters today at the gun store! Pretty neat but I'm already shooting .22 LR, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, 9mm and .45 ACP and I just don't want to get involved with new "love" I mean round! :) Dennis

Back