new round 45acp

Joe,

The 45 Short Magnum Cartridge (SMC) will be released at the 2001 SHOT show. We expect to start delivering to our distributors towards the end of January.

If you go to our home site and click on Press Releases you'll find some additional info.

Is Triton going to charge a royalty for the use of the SMC name? I suggest it does not, as it will stifle production from other manufacturers, much like the .45 Super.

small primer pocket George

I believe Triton has stated at glocktalk that they will NOT pull an Ace45 on their new cartridge... no royalty, as it should be!

Triton Cartridge News Release

December 5, 2000

Coming in January 2001

The 450 SMC (Short Magnum Cartridge)

For those that want more from their .45 ACP chambered handguns, Triton introduces the new 450 SMC. The 450 SMC is based on a simple principle, to strengthen the weakest link in the .45 ACP chain and boost its performance to new levels. All this while not over-stressing the gun (OEM .45 ACP firearms must be modified with the use of a heavy recoil spring).

To accomplish this Triton went to the heart of the problem, the .45 ACP cartridge case. By borrowing from the .45 Winchester Magnum and .40 Super cartridge cases, Triton has come up with a winning combination. A cartridge case that is internally stronger while maintaining the same exterior dimensions as the .45 ACP.

The 450 SMC combines the robust strength of the .45 Winchester Magnum case with a small primer pocket for the thicker small rifle primer; ensuring the most robust case possible. The small primer additionally provides a visual safety to readily differentiate the 450 SMC from a standard .45 ACP.

The 450 SMC is a great choice for .45 ACP fans offering the flexibility of using both the 450 SMC (with a heavy recoil spring) and .45 ACP from the same barrel. Production firearms for the .450 are available from STI International, 114 Halmar Cove, Georgetown TX 78628, (800) 959-8201.

From the 165 grain JHP at 1,450 fps, to the 230 grain JHP at 1150 fps, the 450 SMC surpasses the 10mm in performance and is second only to the .40 Super.

With its small primer pocket and robust construction, the 450 SMC is the ideal choice for the reloader.

The 450 SMC will be available in our Quik-Shok and Hi-Vel lines.

TR450QSA Quik-Shok 165 grain JHP 1450 fps/770 ft/lbs 5”bbl
TR450QSB Quik-Shok 230 grain JHP 1150 fps/675 ft/lbs 5” bbl
TR450HVA Hi-Vel 165 grain JHP 1450 fps/770 ft/lbs 5” bbl
TR450HVB Hi-Vel 230 grain JHP 1150 fps/675 ft/lbs 5” bbl
For more information, contact David Schmidbauer at 1-800-861-3362

Kudos to Triton if they are not going to charge royalties.
One of those SMCs should be a great compliment to a strong 1911, Glock or HK .45 for a woods gun if someone does not want to go to a magnum wheelgun.

The stronger springs might be around 24#...

So, its a .45 Super with a small primer... Whooptie freakin doo... watch me be impressed.
Is there ANY BALISTIC DIFFERENCE here that matters to the SHOOTER and not the RELOADER?

I am shootin' 40 Super now out of my Glock 21 with a 6 inch non-ported/comped Lone Wolf barrel. I am using a 22lb spring over an Aro-Tek Titanium guide. According to Triton, the 450SMC will be slightly less as hot as the 40Super...so for a G-21 anyway, a 22lb spring should work fine. If you go to a comped barrel, might still be okay or may have to drop to a 21/20 lb spring to get it to cycle properly....I am looking very forward to this cartridge as I love the 40 Super, but I think this round would be as sweet! I've got a comped match 45 ACP barrel just waiting for this round.Triton is a great company and I dig the new cartridges/developments they've been coming out with!

Looks like the 400 Corbon barrel setup I have is gonna get reamed for 40Super. Between these 2, don't need the 400 Corbon anymore...

George,

The 45 SMC is not a Super. We developed the case in response to customer’s requests for such a cartridge. During development we changed to a small primer pocket to both strengthen the case and provided for a visual reference that the 45 SMC is not an ACP. With a small primer we can load it to higher levels that a cartridge with a large primer (note the recent change of a certain .400 bottle necked cartridge to small primer).

While the change does not mean that much to someone who handloads (we know people are hot rodding the original Super to SMC levels) it provides those that don’t handload one more option.

As for Royalties – Triton does not do Royalties nor will any be attached to the SMC

SOUNDS GOOD BUT......

remember that there is no free lunch in ballistics or in real life. higher performance with the same bullet weight and bore diameter is accomplished only thru higher pressure and higher recoil levels. this means higher wear rates on the pistol and less control. you can slow down wear by intelligent choices of springs and recoil buffers. control over felt recoil can be delt with also. but all things considered... if you shoot magnum loads you get a magnum a$$ kicking on both ends of the gun. this is especially true in a pistol that is small and light enough to conceal and carry.
having said that, a .45 Glock or Kimber in 45 SMC would be a real pocket rocket. although i do not know how much fun it would be to shoot. if the cartridge surpasses the full power 10mm it will be a hunting cartridge in my opinion and its defensive role very limited. i do not see the full power 10mm, the .40 super or the .400 Cor@Bon exactly putting the 9mm, .357 Mag, .40 auto or .45 ACP out of business and i doubt the .45 SMC will set the market on fire either.

Sounds like a cool idea.

Texas Ammo pulled the rug out from Triton by not allowing them to make .45 Super any more by charging royalties for the .45 Super name. This after Triton put many hundreds of thousands of dollars into promoting the .45 Super.

So, Triton just came out with something BETTER with the .45 SMC. And, there are no royalties attached. I like the idea, and I like the business ethics. I have been playing with the .45 Super, but once the .45 SMC comes into action, I may lean towards it as a hunting cartridge.

Please let me know if you need anyone to test it out, Fernando, because I am already shooting .45 Super and and have a couple guns set up for it and could give you some feedback.

Sorry for being SLOW here, but I'm tired...

All I'd need to do in order to fire this new cartridge from my HK USP45 is a visit to Wolff Springs?

Are there any real risks involved, since we're not talking G30, or P10, or some other pocket .45?

(Yes, I know there are always risks, but I'm talking heavy odds type risks, not 1 in 10,000)

Thanks!!

P.S. Hey Riddle, you keep dis'ing the 10mm, and Tamara may bend you over her knee! :D

I WOULD NOT MIND SOME TAMARA DISCIPLINE!

that's right i am a sick ticket. seriously, after making that post i realized that my somewhat "cool" remarks about this new cartridge might be misunderstood. my comments were based on my observation of the general tends i have noticed in SELF DEFENSE guns and ammo. i have no doubt that the .450 SMC may be an excellent hunting cartridge. so is the 10mm, and the .44/.41 mag and the .45 Colt. but my point is that when you shoehorn that power into a true compact concealable option like a mini-Glock or a Kahr both the shooter and the shootee take a beating. even then there will always be a fringe group of us that want the absolute most power they can shoehorn into a pistol and still carry it concealed.
having said that, i will say that a long slide .45 frame pistol in .450 SMC would be a more compact and easy to pack weapon than my .45 Colt Blackhawk and could provide almost the same ballistics. i doubt it would feed my 300 grain hardcast SWC's though. another interesting idea would be any of the fine .45 ACP revolvers with the .450 SMC in full moon clips. maybe a snub nose custom job... HUMMMMM i wonder.

Back