New Rifle

pmsmith2032

I just purchased a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 and will be taking it out to the range Wednesday to shoot it for the first time. I have a couple of questions on how/if I should break it in:

1. Do I need to do anything beforehand to prepare it? Should I clean the barrel? If so, with what? Anything else?

2. When shooting Wednesday should I do some sort of break-in? I've read info on the subject and it seem like there are differing opinions?

Thanks!

I would at least clean it. As far as break in goes that depends on your position regarding the need to break in a rifle.

I would clean the rifle before firing.

After 5 rounds, I would clean with Sweet's 7.62 or J.B. Bore Paste.

After 10 more rounds, I would clean it again.

After that, clean normally.

If it was a varmint grade or match grade barrel, I'd follow Fred Sinclair's method.

All BNIB rifles come with a rust inhibiting coating that must come off before shooting. Regular cleaning solvent like Hoppe's 9 will do.
There's no need to break in any new rifle, but it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Congrats!
What caliber?

I might lightly lube but most new rifles already have, but have taken some guns straight to the range, fired away, then cleaned them. And they all still work fine.

Sorry I didnt read this earlier. I bought 3 of the Walmart Vaguards. 308, 270 and 243. I put Hogue fully bedded stocks on them and a Timney trigger on the .308. I also added the Howa magazine to it. I did the Weatherby recommended breakin with 40 rounds. Its 10 rounds with a normal cleaning between each round and the 10 3 round groups with a cleaning between each group. The gun shot ok at first but shot fantastic for a hunting rifle on the last of the three round groups. It took about 3 hours to complete so I only got the .308 done.
4df908e8318f98ac9a4002084d113db0.jpg
4415b36b942a92161e6aedb8cfc1b413.jpg

I was told my a gunsmith to clean a new gun and then clean the bore after every shot up to 5 shots, and then firer away !!

I was told my a gunsmith to clean a new gun and then clean the bore after every shot up to 5 shots, and then firer away !!
You a free to do as you wish. I merely stated and followed what Weatherby recommended as per their FAQ page on their website. You'll get varying definitions of what a proper breakin is and that will vary by bore type. I'm very happy with the results.

Back