New rifle pitch in ur opinion

Jpw360

My current line of rifles all bolt action isthe following:
223 rem remington vls
7mm-08 sako a7 stainless
7mm rem mag browning xbolt stainless stalker
300 win mag tikka t3 varmint stainless heavy barrel

I wanted a new gun for target and hunting.
I came across the following rifles.

Browning xbolt composite stalker 6.5 CM $910
Browning xbolt flutted stainless w/ muzzle break 6.5 CM $1550
Browning xbolt wester hunter w/ muzzle break 300 win mag $1095

As u can see i love the xbolt line up bc all of the ones i had proved to be extremelly accurate. I know you guys will say that i already own a 300 win mag....but my tikka is a bit heavy for hunting and i really like the idea of a factory muzzle break and i likethat price too.
Also same rifle is available with the mz break in a 7mm rem mag

The 6.5 CM @ $1550 has a 26 inch barrel. It is a bit more than what inwant to spend but definitely i like the way it looks.

The 6.5 CM at $910 does not have all the bells and whistles its bigger brothers have in the xbolt line up and the barrel is only 22 inches long....

Note that i hand load so ammo price is not an issue

What do u guys think....

Since you also plan on using the rifle for hunting - it would help to know the species you plan to hunt - I would get the composite stalker. The 22" barrel will work well for target or hunting and you don't need a muzzle brake on a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I mainly will be hunting deer and elk....and i think u r right....one side of me is leaning towards the 300 win ma with the break....just coz i really like the rifle and with a break it would makeits bit easier to shoot.....

You already have a 300 and 7mm magnum for bigger stuff. The 6.5 creedmore will shoot to about the same trajectory and with todays better bullets is a legitimate elk round out to 400 yards or maybe more.

Guess it depends what your interests are.
Shooting or accumulating rifles.
If it's shooting, then I'd suggest spending more time with what you have.
They seem to pretty much span the spectrum for general use, especially with reloading your own ammo.
If you just want more guns, then there's no limit as to the possibilities.
No need to invent reasons, just fill the gaps and your safe.
Enjoy.

"...and elk..." That eliminates any .223.
The 6.5 Creedmore won't be found in small places. Only matters if you get off hunting and find you left your ammo on the kitchen table. Basically, if Wally World doesn't carry it locally, they won't in Upper Rubber Boot either.
Magnums of any kind are not required for any game in North America and are just not fun to shoot all day at targets. Muzzle BRAKES increase the muzzle blast for the shooter and anybody nearby.
The 7mm-08 is likely your best option. Kill a deer/elk with no fuss, usually readily available and doesn't pound your shoulder into hamburger.
'ur' is not a word.

They will all do the job, so get the one YOU like the best for fit and balance, keeping in mind the muzzlebrake WILL make things extremely loud

As pretty and generally good as X-Bolts are, I wouldn't take any rifle with a detachable box mag into the field for game that I paid a tag for and took time away from work and home for. Detachable mags can easily be lost in the field, and often are. With certain types of CRF actions, that means your hunt day is over as soon as that happens. Detachables are a very very unfortunate and unneeded trend - a solution to a non-existent problem.

Find something with a hinged floorplate or blind box mag for hunting - an A-Bolt II, anything. Even though the A-bolt II was discontinued, there are still a few of them in new condition on gunbroker - get them while you can - most all the quality American rifles are going the way of the dodo (A-Bolt II, T/C Icon - even the Howa/Vanguard has been furthered cheapened by Weatherby with the Vanguard III).... However, the new FN-made Win 70s are fine fine machines. That's what I'd do if you have to go new.... or Rem 700 of course, or Ruger 77, Sako, or Steyr.

As for "composite stocks", see my sig line below.

Your chambering choice is outstanding - Ruger has that option too in a few rifles.

Back