JerseySlayer

Ok-- so..I've got the itch---for a new bolt action

current centerfire rifles in the safe--

M70 featherweight xtr .270
m70 sporter synthetic .270
m70 sporter synthetic 30-06

FN M70 featherweight deluxe .30-06
FN M70 featherweight deluxe 30-06

Im looking at the ruger hawkeye all weather or the FN M70 ultimate shadow stainless
Im leaning towards the Ruger--- better price and Ive got a few stainless and black ruger handguns and 10/22 -- so ...it fits

pros and cons?

also looking at 7mm-08. or 308 .. favoring the 7mm-08--- killed my first deer with one in a borrowed m70..

opinions please....

That's funny! I have the same itch! But I have Wby's and Win's. For some strange reason I like the "W" class of guns. :D

I wish they would make a heavy barrel 70 in say a .243. I've been pondering the idea of an "R" gun. Maybe the RPR in .243. :confused:

Peep sights are a substantial improvement. But if you get a 22 rimfire with open sights and send a lot of rounds down range you will get a lot better at it.

308 Ruger Precision Rifle...though I heard the 308 version is already on backorder --- One is being auctioned off on Gunbroker.

I like the SAKO and TIKKA rifles.

"...wish they would make a heavy barrel 70 in say a .243..." Been done. Just not recently. There was an '80's vintage heavy barreled XTR on GunsAmerica they guy wanted $800 for.
Your itch for another of the same rifle but in SS?

The 7mm08 and 308 would just be redundant to what you already have. For bolt guns you seem to go for model 70 Winchesters, of which I heartily approve. But for me, they must have Walnut stocks. If you will stay with bolt guns, I think you might consider searching for a pre-64 model 70, perhaps in a classic caliber that you don't already have, nothing too modern. 257 Roberts, 220 Swift, and 300 H&H come to mind here; calibers that were around before WWII. Of course, such a rifle should be kept near original and any sight upgrades should be period-correct. Perhaps a vintage Redfield receiver sight, or, if scoped, a Lyman Alaskan or Weaver K4 or the like, but certainly not some great, big, fat 6-24x50 foreign, modern abomination.

RPR...Ruger Precision Rifle. :D

Reviews on the 308 are mixed. Quite a few are throwing the barrels away and replacing them. Not sure about the .243? Seems a bit harder to find too.

Back