New rifle break-in

NHSHOOTER

Ok, I am going to be picking up a new Browning x bolt and I want to get several opinions on how to go about breaking it in..

All rifles shoot a little better after 100-200 rounds have been down the barrel. The rifle doesn't know or care if you clean it after every shot, every 10th shot or once after all 200 rounds have been fired.

I shoot mine until accuracy starts to drop off and then clean.

Over a fifty-year period, I got a large number of sub-MOA groups before I learned about barrel break-in. I first learned of such a procedure here at TFL in--I guess--1999.

Still, it's not something that I bother to do.

I have been known to take a rifle out of the box and shoot it. It seems to work. Maybe my next rifle I will break it in correctly.

Get a bunch of ammo, sight the rifle in, and practice shooting from realistic field positions. Assuming it's a hunting rifle, you should shun bench-rested shooting. The rifle will break itself in while you are getting accustomed to it. It's more about you getting broke in.

If you use the search function, you will get all you want and more on the topic. Seems we hit this every 4-6 months.

Also read the thread in this forum "The Wisdom of Gale McMillan".

Back