New Rifle Advice

epl1007

Looking into getting a new deer rifle. Question of the day is is the Tikka T3 really worth the extra 400-500 dollars over Something like the Ruger American or the Weatherby Vanguard. I want to spend Reasonably under 1500 but cheaper would be better. In terms of Caliber I’m thinking 6.5 or 7mm-08. I’m already pretty much decided on the Scope with a Vortex Diamondback. Question of the day is the Tikka really worth the extra money.

Majority of shots have been inside of 100. If I sit the food plot can get some longish shots but majority have been under 100 yards

You can buy a Tikka for under $600

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...e320+t3x+lite+bolt+30-06+springfield+224"+3+1

The Ruger American is over $400 now.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/79534/ruger+american+30-06+blk/syn

I wouldn't pay $400-$500 more, but I would pay $170 more.

IME the Ruger Predators in 223, 6.5CM, 7-08 and 308 are equally accurate compared to Tikka. The standard Ruger Americans are accurate, but not quite as good as the Predator or Tikka.

But the Ruger magazines are the weak link. I have several of the Predators that I shoot at the range. But I don't trust them for hunting due to the standard magazines. My 223 uses AR magazines and it is fine, my 308 uses Accuracy International magazines and is fine. My 6.5 with standard 4 round magazines is less reliable. You have to buy the Magpul Hunter version anymore to get AI magazines and it is a $700 rifle.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleHunter/models.html?n=ov

The Tikka is pretty solid. Replacement 3 and 5 round magazines are about $30-$35.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...37/tikka+5+round+blue+magazine+for+t3+243/308
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...3+round+magazine+for+t3+22250/243/308+caliber

The Tikka's made with SS tend to run about $175 more than the blue versions. If the price is reasonably close I like SS. But it isn't worth $175 more to me.

The Tikka is worth the extra $200 as far as rifles go.

The Diamondback is NOT worth the extra $100+ over the Crossfire II.
I've bought both. Been nothing but feeling i got ripped off with the Diamondbacks.
Sold them off at a great loss!
But happy i replaced them with Sightron's!

My cartridge of choice would be the 7mm-08. Very versitile cartridge!

I own both a Ruger American and a Tikka T3x. My Tikka is super accurate and it has a super smooth action. My Ruger shoots handloads pretty darn well but factory ammo was not as much of a success. I would vote for the Tikka.

A Tikka T3 is a great rifle. It is a 3 lug which will have relatively high cocking force, but Tikka is one of the better 3 lug actions. The action machining is top notch. I think most don’t true them when rebarreling. The stock is ok, not great, IMO. It does fit many folks pretty well. Accuracy is guaranteed I think to 1 moa.

The Ruger American is a good deal, but generally rough feeling in use. Accuracy tends to be good. I think 1 moa guaranteed?? Trigger is rougher. Replacement options exist, but I’m not sure how well that will work. Stocks are pretty low bar, but generally fit the shooter ok. Some replacements available.

The Weatherby Vanguard....also known as the Howa 1500 also has an accuracy guarantee, 1 moa, I think. Weatherby generally puts an ever so slightly better quality stock on, but Weatherby has their own shape. You either like it or not. Better stock and trigger replacement options available. Barrel replacement shouldn’t require truing.

In a hunting rifle, I would give the Winchester Model 70 extreme a look. It has the smoothest action of most rifles, including many/most custom actions. My gunsmith feels they are generally true enough to rebarrel without truing. The safety is a real hunting safety. It locks the striker in place making the gun absolutely safe. It comes with a nice Bell & Carlson Sporter stock which is a model 70 pattern. IMO, Winchester 70 stock pattern is the most comfortable pattern for hunting shooting. It has the best fit to my shooting technique. Nice fat forearm to hold, rear grip angle puts finger on the trigger well, cheekpiece works well for normal optics....I really like it. The moa trigger is generally smooth enough and adjustable enough to not need replacement and deliver good performance. If you are picky, Timney makes a VERY nice replacement. Not to mention, this is a great controlled round feed rifle. This rifle needs nothing, except a scope and mount. The others have needs...

The Ruger M77 is similar to the Winchester in a much more trim stock. I always replace triggers....I’m not replacing this trigger. It is that good! Accuracy is
56-EBD5-DF-EB84-47-B7-98-BC-0-FEA78516-CEB.jpg

It is a good rifle just add an optic!

The Diamondback is NOT worth the extra $100+ over the Crossfire II.
I beg to differ. I recently bought 2 diamondback tacticals with EBR-2C reticles in 4x16 x 44, an ffp scope, each at under $400 and they are outstanding at their price point IMO even if the glass clarity isn't top-tier.
In a hunting rifle, I would give the Winchester Model 70 extreme a look
I'd second and third that--the model 70 has one of the best receiver designs I've ever seen in any production rifle, it's going to be next on my list if I can resist the pull of another Weatherby. I would so love a model 70 in a Weatherby chambering.

Before you decide, make sure you handle a Winchester model 70 Featherweight, in Walnut, of course. Then you'll have a better perspective.

Used to have a featherweight in 270 looking for a synthetic stock and stainless. Something that will look good and not easily get beat up and hopefully last for a long time. Love the controlled round feed though

I have a Tikka in 260. My brother has a Bergara in 6.5 CM, which I set up loads for. Both are very accurate. I liked the Bergara but prefer the Tikka, but that’s just personal preference. Both, like I said, shoot like crazy.

Tikka makes an excellent rifle. It would be my first choice.
two other good choices are the above mentioned Winchester 70 extreme weather SS and a weatherby vanguard stainless.

I’ve had a Tikka and the American at the same time. The Tikka felt higher quality but I preferred the American. It was more of a feel for me. Definitely handle multiple rifles first. Take a look at the Remington 700 ADL and the 783 as well.

I bought my Tikka T3Lite, prolly 5-6 years ago in.243 Win. What sold me at the time was the slick bolt action. One ragged hole 100 yard groups happen every time at the range with my loads when I do my part. Pleasure to shoot. hdbiker

Tikka hands down, own 2, 223 and 243..both are ragged hole at 100. As far as cartridge and the range your shooting, 7-08 hands down also, I own 3 in different weight rifles for different hunting situations and they are very versatile deer killers. If you handload try the barnes ttsx 120's..

My neighbor has a Tikka in 7-08 and last year took a whitetail at over 600yds with it. He likes it. I have run the bolt in it and it’s super smooth with a very nice trigger. All in all a pretty darn nice rifle.

Back