New Rifle <$600

wpd8918

So if I wanted to get a nice semi auto rifle and wanted to keep the cost down under $600 do you think that's possible? Do you guys ever see M14s or more likely Mini14s go for that used at gun shows or otherwise? If not any other recommendations or am I more looking at a bolt action or lever action gun for that price?

My preferred caliber would be 223 or 308 but I'd be ok with 30-30 if lever guns are more in my price range. I just want to have a rifle to have one, do some target shooting, that kinda thing. A little bit of do it all rifle.

Thanks

I'm a little torn on the AR. I know it's an excellent platform but just because of personal preference I'm leaning towards a lower profile looking rifle. If it comes down to it and the AR is the best bang for your buck then maybe that's what I'd go with. What does one mean by "building" one? Also would building one in 308 cost more?

Nice clean 30/30 winchester 94 are common used guns for a good price. And fun, good for hunting and politically correct, if; that matters. I am not sure the best deals but would not be surprised if you could get a nice minty 94 in $300 to $400 range.

There is also the Marlin 336 lever in 30/30 if you want a scope. The used Marlins maybe a bit more due to the deterioration in quality of new guns and ease of scope mounting.

Edit: I meant to say "if you get and AR15". I suggest you get a factory complete AR 15 In 223 by Ruger or Smith Wesson instead of assembly of your own gun. These are under $600 new. The guys who suggest a newbie who never even owned an AR to build one are not doing anyone a favor. You want an AR, buy one and no reason blow a fortune on a fancy name. And "build" is just another way to say "assemble from parts".

The AR10 in 308 is very expensive. Easy 2x or 3x the cost. There are so many better guns for the dollar just to shoot a rifle. Bolt actions in many style and taste.

Last edited:
I forgot, my mindless 2c on the mini. It is a fine gun, for what it is. I dont mean that is a real positive way.

The mini14 is more money for a lesser design. That is just my opinion. I expect a smith wesson ar15 would cost $300 less and be more accurate and more versatile and can be accessorized easily. Maybe a used mini? The old ones were even less accurate and maybe all shot to heck. This is one I would want new and improved.

A lot depends where you live, in the liberal states there is always the threat that future AR owners will be harassed and registered. The mini14 with wood stock and 5 shot magazine might slip under the political radar.

The M14 is a lot of money too.

If I could only have one center fire rifle it would be a bolt action with a scope. And you could talk all day about recommendations for many fine guns although I would suggest more like a 1000, for rifle and scope. No point in going down that debate again. It been beat to death so many times. I mean the old "what bolt action rifle to buy" question.

Last edited:
Thank you that's all sound advice. I agree, the mini14 just seems too overpriced for what it is. It does seem like exactly what I'm looking for outside of the price but because of the price I won't be getting one. Basically I want like a 10/22 but in a centerfire caliber. I'm actually shocked at the lack of products along those lines.

wpd8918 said:
Basically I want like a 10/22 but in a centerfire caliber.

I'd imagine with the way the election went if your patient you could pick up a used Mini 14/30 for your $600 or less budget. The market should turn more buyer friendly on semi-autos for at least a couple of years. You might take a look at a Ruger Deerfield Carbine it'll be hard to find one for less than $600 but it looks like a beefed up 10/22 but in .44 Mag.

The Remington 742 is a well built and accurate and powerful rifle. good for any task in N American hunting. These are fairly common. I had one and sold it for reason best not stated to avoid any flames. And, they are a little heavy to carry all day. They are true sporting firearms, never to be confused with any assault style purpose or look. And again a lot of power. I had a 3-06. The weight of the gun with a scope helped with the recoil. I guess, they were offered in some lesser rounds as well.

Here is one for example, I found this morning:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/611304754

Any semi -auto that has any remote similarity to a military gun will carry a premium these day and a gun like the 742 is pretty well ignored by the new generation black ops crowd.

The Ruger 44's seem to command a pretty good price around here, $700-800 typical. They are a real handy woods rifle. I never had one. My friend is sorry he sold his. That would also make a great companion to a Ruger Redhawk revolver. As for the 44mag, there are some very classy and useful lever action rifles in 44. I have a Marlin and a Winchester 92 clone.

The closest to a 10/22 in a centerfire might be an M1 carbine. Those are nice little guns. A good example will run a $1000. That is a 'good' new manufacture or good used WWII gun. This is the one you might just want to save up for a few more months and research the makers and authentic details that changes over time.

I think I'm gonna wait it out and see what the prices do over the next year. I'm really in no rush. It's more of a summer activity anyways for me. Also, I don't know if you guys will understand this but it's not that I couldn't save up and spend more it's just that I don't really want to, not for something that isn't anything more than just a hobby.

I've generally had enjoyable shooting from using "good used" rifles as much as from new-in-box. I recommend browsing pawn shops and gun shows, comparing various types and brands of rifles, before spending money.

Money goes out much easier and faster than it comes in. :)

An AR15 is a lot of fun and plinking/target ammo is relatively cheap compared to other centerfire cartridges.

After owning a couple I wouldn't want to be without one, and there are several complete rifles for under $600 right now.

You can still pick up a Remington Model 8 or 81 and some ammunition for that price, but unless you find an 81 in .300 Savage you'll have to reload for it.

Production was from 1908 to 1950-ish. If you look for pictures of John Browning hunting, he's usually holding a Model 8.

I went to a local gun store and they had 4 mini14 that were used all listed at 695. It's crazy a new one is like 750-850.

Back