New Revolver, looking for info

NCTinkerer

Inactive
Today I picked up an S&W M&P in .38 S&W. Serial number 827xxx. It is blue with a 5 inch barrel, checkered wood grips, and a lanyard loop. I'm trying to find out when it was made and whether it may have been a pre-victory Lend-Lease revolver. Thanks.

It is a pre-Victory, made for the British. That gun was made before July, 1941; the checkered grips and blue finish would be correct for that period.

If it has the US property mark, it is definitely Lend-Lease, but I don't think that marking had gone into effect yet, even though the L-L Act was signed in March, 1941. The Victory model came into being later when S&W went to 999,999 and then started with V 1 (4/24/42).

Are there any British markings, such as acceptance markings or proof markings?

Anyway, if it is in good original condition, it is a desireable collector's item.

Jim

Last edited:
No markings I have seen

There are no markings anywhere that are obvious. Other than the serial number and lanyard loop, I don't know what else might help place it in military use.

I wanted to get a Victory model, but the parkerized V models were out of my price range. My budget only allows for casual collecting.

Back