New Remington 870 Problem

Hayden

Hey all,
I just bought a new Remington 870 Express Magnum. I have only had it out once so far and this is my problem.

After firing several rounds, the gun was failing to extract the shell(pump action).

The shells I was using are the cheap and nasty Wal-Mart specials (100 for $14)

Yes when I got it home a stripped it completly and cleaned and oiled all parts, so I don't think thats the problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I don't want to send it back just yet. I am thinking or rather hoping it will settle down after a few more rounds have been through it. Or maybe it just doesnt like the Wal-Mart specials,any one had problems with these?

Thanks
Hayden

A coupla things to try,Hayden.....

First, most pumps work best when worked vigorously. Baby stroking some pumps may cause glitches that don't happen when one acts under the influence of adrenaline.

Second, I've not seen it, but have heard of ejectors busting on the first stroke or two.

Make sure the shotgun is empty, then CHECK IT AGAIN. Then, look in the ejection port at the ejector mounted on the inside of the receiver opposite the port.Inspect by sight and feel. The leading edge should not be rough and should form a pretty square corner there(slight rounding).

Third, check the extractor hook and see if grunge or damage interferes with it working.

Fourth, try some other shells and see if it helps.

Hayden--

I had the exact same problem on a new 870 express I bought not long ago.

After shooting ~800 rounds through it, it doesn't stick anymore. Somewhere in there I took Dave McC's advice (which he didn't include in his reply here, any reason Dave?). That advice was that I tighten my magazine cap one click past hand tight using a pair of padded channel locks.

This seems to of solved my problem. Now if it happens to me its my fault. (Ie: Didn't dry the barrel of oil before I shot it. This seems to throw off the tolerances around the shell, and when it expands a bit from firing, it sticks.)

If you can't get it fixed with what you hear here, you might just have to send it back to remington for a little magic.

-Brian

Thanks guys,
I'll try what you suggested with the fore end cap, also what you mentioned regarding the shell sticking seems like the exact problem!! Maybe I did leave alitte excess oil in.

I appreciate the advice thanks again.
Hayden

HEY BUB,

REMINGTON HAS FOR THE PAST 2 1/4 YEARS HAVE HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM IN ABOUT 8 DIFFERENT BATCHES OF THEIR 870 EXP. MAG AND 870 EXP SUPER MAG. THE PROBLEM WAS BAD EJECTORS. AND DUE TO HUNTING SEASONS BEING MAINLY YEAR-ROUND WITH A SHOTGUN THEY OPTED NOT TO RECALL THEM BUT TO REPAIR THE ONES THAT WERE AFFECTED. I PERSONALLY SENT IN 2 DOZENS OR SO OREV THE LAST 2 YEARS OR SO. SOME I HAVE SENT THE CUSTOMER TO A LOCAL GUNSMITH. THIS IS NO BIG DEAL AND IS EASILY FIXED. SOME GUNS WERE EVEN GETTING JAMMED AFTER THE 1ST SHOT. IF YOUVE GOT IT FIXED BY NOW THEN BY ALL MEANS HAVE A GREAT SEASON, BUT IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS THEN TAKE IT TO WHERE YOU GOT IT AND HAVE THEM SEND IT IN TO REMINGTON.
ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR YOU GIVE ME A HOLLER !!!

------------------

Keyboard Orientation, Lesson One: the Capslock key...

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

I think the ammo was the problem,
cheap federal stuff doesnt seem to extract very easily. Tried Winchester AA and remington el cheapo and havent had any major problems, except I still cannot hit anything!! Well 5 out of 25 clays seems pretty bad. I guess I need to shoot a bunch more :)
Thanks

Hayden, if you're that new to shotguns, I suggest a lesson or two to steepen the learning curve. Also, there's an old thread I started about Proper Mounting Technique, it may have some info you could use.

Whatever you do, keep on. It will work for you eventually....

Try your local range, the Isaac Walton Chapter,or check the phone book,ljlc.

Many clay courses have classes periodically, and there's lots of gun clubs out there where someone might take a little time and pass on some basics.

Books and videos are of limited value, unfortunately, but your library may have something. Shooting is found under 799 on the Dewey Decimal system....

Back