New Remington 700 SPS...

rcmark

Just got my Remington 700 SPS THREADED BARREL 223 20IN SYN

Put a Timney 2-STAGE CALVIN ELITE REMINGTON MODEL 700 (RIGHT HAND - BLACK TRIGGER 532CE, 8 OUNCE, 1 LB)

Federal American Eagle 223 Remington Ammo 50 Grain Tipped Varmint

SIGHTRON SIIISS10-50X60LR MOA,SIII 30MM RIFLESCOPE 25003

Shot this group today:

5 Shots at 200 yards

I Think I will keep this one!

If you want to cut the group sizes, get a better stock. On the .308, went from 2" to 0.8" at 100, in .223 went from 1.4" to 0.6" at 100, both just changing the stocks.

I think you can shrink the groups in a gross fashion by handloading or even using good factory rounds.

Is your barrel 1:9" or 1:12" twist?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You just got the rifle, once you get more trigger time with it, your groups will tighten up. You shooting good with a new rifle, Keep it clean, practice dry firing with a snap cap, Shooting on a windy day will screw up your groups.

223 Ammo, 80¢ vs 45¢
Hornady 223 REM 55 Gr. V-MAX
American Eagle 223 50gr varmint

I was going to test these in both my AR-15 and my Remington 700.

I tested the Remington 700 first you can see a lot of differance betwwen the groups.

100 yards, shot the American Eagle 223 50gr varmint out of the Bushmaster, no need to test the Hornady 223 REM 55 Gr. V-MAX

Last edited:
mcmark said:
223 Ammo, 80¢ vs 45¢
Hornady 223 REM 55 Gr. V-MAX
American Eagle 223 50gr varmint

I was going to test these in both my AR-15 and my Remington 700.

I tested the Remington 700 first you can see a lot of differance betwwen the groups.

Shot the American Eagle 223 50gr varmint out of the Bushmaster, no need to test the Hornady 223 REM 55 Gr. V-MAX

Nice my 700 VTR SS does well with factory 55 gr vmaxes as well. Love my VTR and glad your SPS Tactical is shooting well. Been loading 50 vmaxes for a bit more speed and with Benchmark powder are lasers...I tried the Varmint tipped 50s as well seemed appealing because they were cheap but had meh results as well. Some reason your AR liked them though, thats interesting.

I think you can shrink the groups in a gross fashion by handloading or even using good factory rounds.

You can beat the price in a gross fashion. I found the Hornady vmax 55 to be consistently, very accurate. You might expend a lot of components to beat that accuracy in a gross manner.

I am not trying to be a wize guy here. Just like to add that Hornady vmax has been my top performer.

I like to ask: Were is the best deal on this stuff ?

JP Recoil Eliminator on a .223...
And people call me a wuss with one on a 7-08 :D

Just kidding- huge fan of brakes, and install a lot of those- great brake.
Bet you don't even feel it after you pull the trigger.

fourbore said:
You can beat the price in a gross fashion. I found the Hornady vmax 55 to be consistently, very accurate. You might expend a lot of components to beat that accuracy in a gross manner.

I am not trying to be a wize guy here. Just like to add that Hornady vmax has been my top performer.

I like to ask: Were is the best deal on this stuff?

I agree, .223 is nice because you can easily find accurate factory ammo for any rifle because of the overwhelming variety. Sometimes for cheap. My rifle (Savage M11 Predator Hunter) doesn't shoot factory 55gr ammo in any flavor I've tried very impressively but it shoots every 68-69gr factory ammo at 1MOA or less. Federal Gold Medal Match with 69gr SMKs shoots extremely well in my gun but it's $20+ per box. I shot Australian Outback with 69 SMKs ($13/box) out to 600 yards with good results, too.

Still most skilled handloaders can beat factory ammo pretty easily. The first load I tried 68gr Hornady HPBTs over Varget shot 3/4MOA average at 100-200 yards. I'm working on tuning that load in (hopefully for sub 1/2MOA).

Back