New Rem 11-87 owner, need advice

Aerodog

I just picked up a Remington 11-87 Police and need some advice.

a. What make an model of sling should I get?

b. Any recommendations on brand and size of load to use for practice? for home defense? in case the US is invaded?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
A, whatever sling you like for carrying. For HD, a sling that can catch on things is a disadvantage.

B,Other may differ on this but....

First, run a few boxes of whatever cheap field loads you have or can buy through that 11-87 to get things broken in OK. After that, it's your call.

A few 5 packs of various buckshot will show one with superior patterning in your 11-87. Mine ,and many others, "Like" the Estate reduced recoil 00.

About a zillion old threads here on ammo choices.

Last edited:
Remember, the 11-87 Police has a "Heavy Duty" recoil system that was intended mainly for buckshot and slugs because that is what the LEO's would use. What this basically means is that you will need to use shells with sufficient power to make them function, not every shell will work. All regular power buck and slugs will work fine in it. I also use the Federal reduced OO buck that works well also. I have found the Remington "reduced Recoil" slugs will not function in my 11-87 Police and I had to shoot them in my 870.

Be careful about buying "any" cheap loads to fire through it. The light 7/8th oz. loads will not function well in it. I reccomend using the Federal 100 pack shells that Wal Mart sells as "cheap" loads. They are a 3 dram load and and have a 1 1/8th oz payload and will cycle fine in it. Heavy "feild" or "trap" loads have enough power to function in it but "Dove and Quail" loads will most likely not. I reload 1 oz. shells for mine but they are 3+ dram so they function fine in it.

Intel, for a breakin, any shells will work fine. If it jams, no sweat,just clear it and resume.

After that breakin, I'd go with heavier loads.

I understand DaveMC but I guarantee you that Aerodog will be posting to this thread that his 11-87P is a piece of junk and it doesn't work. Just trying to stop some frustration before it starts. If he uses the cheap 7/8th oz. loads he won't have an ocasional jam, he will most likely have a jam with every round. There is a big difference between an ocassional jam and every round not even making it out of the chamber. Not the way I would like to break in a new shotgun. Since you can get the Federal "all purpose" loads I talked about for about the same price, I was suggesting he get these. They will cycle the 11-87P and he will have allot more fun breaking it in.

I just wanted him to understand that he has a specialized shotgun there and not a regular 11-87. Many people don't understand that the 11-87P is not just a regular 11-87 with a parkerized finish. A regular 11-87 will cycle the lite stuff, the
11-87P won't and needs the proper ammo to work correctly.

I have run into this exact situation before with other new owners of 11-87 P's and figured I would give my "speil" now rather than later. :)

Good idea, Intel. Few folks I know use 7/8 oz anyway, and few of those get sold cross counter.

That Fed load you mention is the one in the 4 box pack.It's probably the cheapest good trap ammo out there, and substantially cheaper than the others.

Yeah, I am a big time newbie with shotguns.

The last one I bought was a Mossberg 500 pump from Kmart in 1983! I was told by the FFL I bought the thing (11-87P) from to only use "high base" loads. What exactly should I buy because I have NO IDEA/CLUE. Last shotgun shells I bought were Winchester 8 shot. Thats all I know and the doves and Mossy didn't seem to care. :)

Also, I'm thinking of taking a shotgun self defense class where they say you can only use 7.5 or 8 shot. Which shells will function the 11-87P with this restriction?

As far as a sling....get a hold of Kevin Swanson at www.ustacticalsupply.com
I own 4 of them. The quick release feature is great and the nylon thick and soft......other slings I had damn near cut me.

I also own a Rem 1187P.
Had a complete nightmare with it.
First one was a complete lemon and after 2 months at an "Authorized Rem. Repair" shop it was returned to me in worse shape than before.
Insisted on a new shotgun and Remington finally agreed.
Didn't even fire the replacement when it arrived......shipped it out for major modifications....(Vang, etc...) My gunsmith get's back to me saying it can't be Vang'd because the bore's too big. I just replaced the barrel out.
Among the g-smiths I've talked to all agreed the Remington quality has taken a dive.

Break that gun in properly.
Find a good heavy 00 buck it likes.
Put 1000 through it.......

.......oh yah, save your receipt!

Good Luck.

M Guber

Back