New Redhawk 45 Colt advice

Ranger1

Inactive
Hello to you all,
I recently purchased a brand new Redhawk in .45 Colt, only to find the extraction was very difficult even with Win. 255 lead ammo, (this is the factory test ammo, per Ruger) One of the cylinders actually had rifling-like reamer marks! I returned it to Ruger and I hope they will replace the cylinder...This was my 16th. Ruger and my first defective!

Anyway, my request is for bullet/bullet mold/grip advice.

1. I want to use lead and/or lead GC bullets. I want to use heavier bullets in the 300-350 gr. range. Any particular makers stand out for consistancy and good delivery times? I like the Beartooth site but I have no knowledge of them.

2. Any advice on the same weight range in a bullet mold?

3. As to loading dies, how are the Lee dies working out with their "modified taper crimp"? Any one use the Redding profile crimp die as the last step?

4. There are many grips out there, Michaels, Pachmayr, Hogue, etc. Any advice on the best grips for recoil-absorbtion with heavy loads? I plan to Mag-Na-Port the gun. Does anyone use the hardwood Hogue grips? I purchased a UltraDot 30mm. (Ruger was kind enough to send me a set of 30mm rings). I know this will add some weight to the front.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Harry

Harry,

Congratulations on your new Redhawk! I'm sure Ruger will make it right. Just a shame they let that cylinder through without polishing.

If your Redhawk is as accurate as my Blackhawk, you can probably save the Ultradot for another gun. :)

My Blackhawk sports Pachmayr Presentation grips that I really like. The factory grips beat the hell out of my middle finger knuckle! :(

Don't know where you live, but Oregon Trail makes excellent cast bullets for the 45 Colt, in weights from 200 to 300 grains. Check their web site at

http://www.laser-cast.com

They will send free samples for the asking, so you can try them yourself before buying. I switched to OT after some serious leading problems with other cast bullet brands.

I've been using their 250gr RNFP in my stainless Blackhawk, and have had no serious leading, even with H-110 loads up to 1,350 fps!

My favorite target loads are with 9gr of Ramshot True Blue powder, and I've chronographed a five shot string with an extreme spread of 7.8 fps, and standard deviation of 2.8 fps! This was using new Starline brass and Winchester Large Pistol (WSP) primers, with the above mentioned bullets. It just doesn't get any better than that! :D

Bill

1) Cast Performance or Beartooth; both very best available. (Use Starline or Federal cases only, W296, CCI350).

2) No.

3) Redding Profile Crimp die WILL increase accuracy potential; HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

4) My 4 Redhawks are all fitted with Pachmayr Decelerators. They both fit MY hand perfectly, and provide the required protection when testing loads in the 400PF+ range (360g/1300fps from 5.5" 45, etc.).

Beartooth had some lube problems, but they're up and running. Just behind. After prepping for lead, check to find which site fills the need for the diameter bullets you need. Size matters for accuracy. Use the one you feel comfortable with.

Back