New production Remington 700 CDL

Nunya53

The local (closing) Gander Mountain has Remington CDLs for under $650. I know there have been many discussions on their quality, as well of how it has improved lately.

Deal is, I need to pick up a new rifle for my youngest and they happen to have one in 270.

Worth it?

Thanks,

Nunya

If you like the 700 rifle that is probably as good a price as you'll ever see. And I like the CDL stock design better than anything Remington has ever used. I've always felt concerns over declining quality have been over stated. I've owned several 700's, still have one. Wouldn't want another, I don't like the design. But if you do, I'd take it at that price.

Thanks for the feedback...the only Remington I have is a vintage 1957 Wingmaster 572 22LR pump that belonged to my maternal grandfather.

No attachment to the brand at all, just wondered if it was a good price on the (seemingly) above average Remington rifle??

Nunya

I've got several 700's all over 15 yrs old. Never have had any kind of problem with any of them now that I got that junk plastic stock off one of my ADL's. If I was looking at rifle's right now and found a 700 in a cartridge I wanted, I buy it in a heart beat if I could afford the price. If it had a plastic stock or stainless receiver and barrel, I'd walk away.

If I had loads of money and time I would get the cdl sf in 270 wsm which feels really light, file 13 the gaudy stock and have it pillar bed in a synthetic prairie camo or black grey web stock. Then I'd put a zeiss scope on it.

I have 2-CDL 700 Mtn rifles. 270 & 25-06 never incurred any problems to date. Even those cheaper replacement clips work without their need to be fine tuned when needing a spare.

Only one Rem model better for a young hunters use I would suggest. Model 7. Light weight_ fast in a swing_and having spot on accuracy as good as its bigger brother the (700). Only one problem. Model 7s. All have a short action bolt. 308-260-243. All are good choices for Big Game purposes in a Model 7s receiver.

On behalf of your young 'un, I respectfully really really think you should buy the CDL.

Man, what a first rifle a CDL will be, that kid will darn near stroke out when he sees it. And he'll appreciate it when he compares it to a plain Jane synthetic stocked matte finished rifle which are so common these days.

So, I think I should clarify...my youngest is 18 (high school grad present) so full size rifle will fit the bill. Also, apparently my dyslexia kicked in. I thought the rifle was $647, but in reality is $674. In any case, I did not buy one.

However, I did pick up a Winchester 70 Sporter 30-06 for him for $659. There is no way I could pass on it for that price. This is the only NEW (and probably last) firearm I've purchased from Gander.

Thanks for the input,

Nunya

Back