New "Pre-Agreement" S&W Model 696 .44 Special

mikey357

Late Sat. afternoon I went to a "new" gunshop-new to me, at least-and picked up a NIB, "Pre-Agreement" S&W Model 696...its got the "old-style" FORGED trigger and hammer with the firing pin mounted on the hammer...pretty sweet piece! I've laid in some PMC 180-gr. JHP's as well as some Georgia Arms 200-gr. "Gold Dots" and some Ga. Arms 200-gr. lead flatnose("cowboy" load). With any luck at all, I'll get to wring it out next weekend! Anybody have any OTHER suggestions, ammo-wise???....mikey357

Tis indeed a fun gun. Hope yours likes you. I been usin moderately stout loads with Red Line 215 cast. Makes ammo bout a nickle a round. Nice thing bout mine is that it points and prints the same as my 686....therefore interchangeable as carry pieces.

Sam

Once again Mikey, great find!

For those not visiting the other site, I have great success with CCI Blazers in the 200 gr GDHP...cloverleafs at 25 yards all day long (okay, until I get tired anyway!)

SAMTU-Thanks! I'll have to look for those...being "Blazers", they shouldn't "Break the bank"! Any OTHER suggestions???....mikey357

Congrats on a great gun. I love the balance of a revolver with a 3" barrel. It makes for a nice trail gun.

I liked the Federal Classic 200 SWCHP the best of factory rounds I tried, but I got tired of paying for them and started reloading. I am having good luck with 190 grain Bull-X SWC and Rainier 240 Copper plated handloads.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

Just an opinion, but what I do with all of my handguns is to buy a sampling of what is available on the market, then go to the range with my brother.

After setting up slow fire targets at 25 yards, he loads the weapon (so I don't know which load is which) and then firing each in a recorded pattern. Each load has an equal opportunity to perform without prejudice on my part. I am often surprised at which loads are the most accurate.

Very nice; I always did like this model; just not my caliber; I wish they had made it in a 5-shot .41 mag.:)
Enjoy!!

not to sound stupid but whats the differance between the "Pre-Agreement" S&W Model 696 and a "Post-Agreement" one?

None...it only refers to the date it was made.

S&W capitulated in a government settlement to stay in business...that's what the pre and post refer to.

The 696 is a *fine* handgun...love mine!

mikey357 - i've got one too, a great gun, did yours come mag-na-ported. i'm shooting the blazer 200gr gdhp too, very accurate...shoots like a .38 +p in a 4" m-13. came with hogue monogrips in hardwood, looking at adding some hogue batam grips. trying to decide on a holster, leaning toward kramer vertical ride

9mmepiphany-No, my 696 is NOT Magnaported-tho' I have seen a couple of those guns. In fact, I saw one at a gunshow right before Christmas...used, in excellent condition, it was about 40 or 50 dollars MORE then I payed for the one I just purchased!!! Mine came with "Uncle Mike's" grips, but I'll probably end up putting the rubber Hogue's on it. I've always wondered-how effective do you think the porting is???....mikey357

Mikey...the 696 with factory loads is a pussycat, no porting should be needed. FWIW, remember that when you port, the hot gasses flow out there...along with flash.

mikey357 - i did not expect the porting to make much difference due to the low pressure loads of the .44spl; less gas = less vectored thrust.

the first time i shot it was on a b-27 target during off duty qualification. starting at the 25 yd line, brought gun up, sighted on x-ring and pulled trigger twice. i throught there was somthing wrong with the first shot, light load?, because gun never jumped past the target's shoulder. same thing for the 2nd shot. at closer ranges, the front sight just barely wandered out of the 9-ring in recoil.

this was my first ported gun, but i'll try for points of reference as to recoil:
less than my 6" python w/140gr speer .357 mag
less than 4" m-48 w/police load lswc .41 mag
a bit more than 4" m-13 w/125gr +p .38spl or 158gr +p lswc
hope this helps...i really love it...40-50 more for a $100 add-on + shipping, hhmmmm

Back